Thursday, October 23, 2008

261 10/6/1936 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Tuesday, October 06, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
it is after four o'clock and I've been too busy all day to get even a note written to you. I received Helen's second letter today and was very glad to get it. I got mother's nice long letter yesterday.
I called Mrs. Knutson and she said they hadn't figured out what the price will be for his work - but the freight came to 900 lbs. more or less so it is going to cost you plenty to get it. I believe it was $2.86 a hundred. Is that just awful or did you expect it to be around that?
Too bad you didn't get to see Mrs. Hoey, Helen, or I should say Aunt Lily. I hope you get a chance to before you have to leave.
I am awfully sorry to hear about Mr. Van Paten. He was so nice and she will miss him a lot - but it was a nice way to go after all.
I sort of hope the furniture gets there before Helen leaves. She can see how it looks in the house and then tell me.
Mable and I didn't go to Sundby's last night but I went over to Mable and Charlie's anyway and stayed for dinner. I enjoyed the evening very much and when they brought me home at 10 o'clock they came in, so Adelyn made tea and had nut bread and cake. They didn't go home until almost one o'clock so I've been tired all day. I am going out to Jensen's tonight for dinner. I suppose we will play bridge. I am going to come home early and get to bed.
Sunday I drove down to Taylor's Falls with Cully. It was another beautiful day and the trip was lovely. The leaves are turning and are such a deep rich color, especially along the river banks. There were loads of people there - one of them was Ralph Woodfill. Addie and the Jensens and Clara and Vernie were there too. I sure do like to go for rides when the weather is so nice. We stopped in Forest Lake on the way back and had our supper. Going down we went thru Stillwater. We didn't leave until about 2 o'clock but we had plenty of time.
I won't mind moving, Helen, into a place by ourselves if we can find one. I've looked around and there just doesn't seem to be anything. These one-room apartments are $35.00 and $40.00 a month rent plus the lights and gas. We simply couldn't afford that. But when you get here you can go out and look too and see what can be found.
I wonder if this letter will get there before you leave? I'll send it Air-Mail and hope that it does. Have a nice trip home and I'll try hard to be down to the station on Saturday night. I hope you get along O.K. and that the folks won't hate too much to see you go. I'll sure be glad to see you back here again. The time has gone fast, though, because I've been kept so busy.
I've practically decided to stop wearing my ring from Bill. I had only one letter all last week and nothing so far this week. It makes me plenty mad. He could at least write. As long as I am going out all the time and he is too it is silly to stay engaged. What do you think, mother? I might as well go out and enjoy myself. I'd like to find someone else too besides Cully, though. I've seen him so much I'm getting awfully tired of him.
Must close - I'll really write tomorrow.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading