Wednesday, December 3, 2008

668 1/20/1951 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Saturday, January 20, 1951
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
A nice letter came from you today. All week I had hoped to get a letter written but I have a good chance to write tonight because Elmer is doing all the work. The reason is because this afternoon I went to the grocery store and when the boy carried my groceries out to the car I also was putting my groceries on the front seat and he accidentally slammed the car door on my finger. It hurt so bad I could hardly drive home. It chopped the nail off and I was sure the whole end of my finger would come off when I took my glove off. Elmer wrapped it up good but it still aches like the dickens.
Last night we were invited over to Delores and Bob’s. It was the first time we had been over there. They bought a house over on 53rd and Stevens. It is just like Ruth and Jim’s house. It also sets back on the lot. Jimmy didn’t go with us as he had cub meeting and then he stayed all night with Peter. His first night to spend away from home. He was so glad he had the cute television pajamas Gladys sent him.
Bob Carlson was over here when I came home from the store. I still think it is too bad he is married to Delores.
Viola called the other day and said she hadn’t heard from Gladys yet since Christmas and Mrs. Dahlstrom has called about three times saying she hadn’t heard from Gladys.
Before I go any farther I want to tell you the package came with the very beautiful shawl and earrings. I didn’t know there was nylon yarn. I can see where the shawl will last indefinitely. I think it is absolutely beautiful and it is so warm too. The earrings are darling. Thank you very, very much. Stella told me about Hank Madison having a stroke. That is really terrible. Is he able to work in the store? Let me know how he gets along.
To get back to Viola, I asked her about Mrs. Overton and I was mistaken. She had been with a Mrs. Overseth. However, she did tell me that Lois Overton had gotten real fat and took that Dubarry real___ing course and she had her picture in a magazine showing two poses. The before and after pictures of her.
Davy is getting to be real good now. For awhile he wouldn’t go to sleep at night and he stayed up later and later after being awake all afternoon. He would be good while we held him and not just held him, we had to keep talking to him too. When it started in to be midnight and he was still awake after being awake all afternoon I decided he didn’t get enough to eat so now I fill him up on the solid foods, all he can get down him, and he is a happy baby. He even wakes up talking and he has discovered his hands and lies for the longest time watching them. His circumcision didn’t bother him at all. In Jimmy’s time they used to sew it back so it looked terrible with all the stitches but now they just glue it back.
Sunday Night
Warnie Martin was out in Seattle when the Northwest plane crashed. Jan was over at my house. Warnie was due to come back here about that time and Bill Corl just happed to call his office and was told about the crash and that Warnie wasn’t on the plane so he called over here to tell Jan. I sure wouldn’t fly unless I just had to. Warnie hates it too and gets the jitters every time he has to get on a plane.
I sure hope Jim won’t have to go into the army. Probably if it comes to that, though, we will really be in a 3rd world war. The 17 year old boy left for camp today. He had just joined the National Guard last summer. It surely seems terrible to see the boys going back into uniform. These trains in back of us go by loaded down with tanks and Red Cross trucks and artillery. It just makes me sick to think about another war.
Last Thursday and Friday were real nice. 30 and 35 above and then this morning it was 10 below when we got up so I don’t know how much colder it was before then.
I had to quit writing last night because my finger started bleeding. Today it hasn’t pained but I would hate like the dickens to bump it. I wonder how I’ll ever get the bandage off. It is so stuck on and so bloody I keep tying more bandage over it to make it look better.
The baby is sleeping and I’m going to stop now and play Rook with the kids before they go to bed. Thanks again for the beautiful shawl and earrings.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading