Wednesday, November 12, 2008

549 2/15/1944 Jim Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Jim Erwin
Lakeland Field, Lakeland, Florida
Tuesday, February 15, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Received another nice letter from you today.
Helen hasn’t answered my letter that I wrote the 6th yet. I sent it to 2021 5th and maybe she hasn’t ever picked it up. Send her new address in case I don’t hear from her.
It rained hard last night. The wind blew again today but the sand was wet so didn’t blow around.
There is a kid next to me that is from Portland. He said that he is nearly 4000 miles from home. Guess that makes me even a little farther than that. Japan is closer to you than I am.
The men are getting furloughs again. They are getting seven days and traveling time. That’s as much as I got. They would have to give me about 17 days that way. In about 2 ½ months I’ll be able to get one again. Hope we aren’t still here when it comes around.
Elizabeth wrote me a nice letter and sent a Valentine also.
A new manning chart is coming out soon and a lot of ratings are supposed to have been dropped. Sure hope I’ll still be able to make Sgt.
Johnny Slatt sure has been lucky to stay near home. Hasn’t ever been far away. Tacoma is a good place to be.
Ralph Hawthorn must have felt good to see Cully way back in New York. Did he get to talk to him?
There sure are a bunch of boys getting home. There always seems to be someone there. Bob C. seems to be home more often than anybody.
That was some hike for Bill and the boys to make, I know. Would gladly hike it though just to be there. You have certainly gotten a lot of pleasure out of the cabin.
Enumclaw sure has been doing well on buying bonds. They can feel they are playing a big part in the war.
Yes, I went through Mississippi and Alabama. Jackson and Gulfport and Mobile. Added a couple more states to my list.
It will be swell if you can get my razor fixed. My face has gotten accustomed to my other one but takes more time and much more messy.
Glad you like the reading room work. Nice to have someone help you too. I don’t think that I had told you that the pictures came through okay. Thanks.
Bet Bob Jensen is glad to be back in the states. What I hear of Tampa, it isn’t so nice. If I do get a chance, I’d like to get there and see Bob though.
Sorry to learn about Charlie Runland passing away. He was a swell fellow. Was his son home for the funeral?
Bud will have fun in Chicago. Hope he will be able to get there.
To bad about the Chase boy. That’s the way things turn out sometimes. He can get them back though.
You fix everything out for my income tax form and I’ll make the return. Probably won’t be much.
You could have the bond mistake corrected if you want to. It’s alright by me to leave it as is.
Morning
Didn’t finish last night so will now.
There is a heavy mist out now. Will probably rain later.
Every morning our pants, blouse, jacket, sox and all are damp. There is so much moisture in the air. Makes it kind of uncomfortable.
Yesterday we moved into a different barracks. We have single steel cots. These are really comfortable and have plenty of room in between beds.
Have to go to the dentist at 9:00 o’clock. Teeth don’t hurt but have a couple to be filled.
Will close for now and will let you hear from me again soon.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading