Wednesday, October 29, 2008

353 11/27/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Sunday, November 27, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
The sun is pouring in my windows and it looks beautiful out but the thermometer shows about 22° above.
I really intended getting up and going to church this morning but slept thru until too late.
Yesterday Ruby Northcott and I went downtown about noon and didn’t get home until 7:30. Polly came over for the evening and Hulgar picked her up about 10:30. We made coffee and played bridge (3 handed) until after 1 o’clock. It was about 2 before I got to bed.
Oh, but it is fun to shop here. We spent about 3 hours just looking around in Marshal Fields. They are getting all the Christmas decorations up and lights. They have such lovely things. I could spend a week just walking around in that one store. In the basement I bought a cute wool outfit. It is a soft green plaid jacket and plain skirt. The jacket has a speck of yellow and black in it. I will get a yellow sweater to wear with it. It will be warm and just the thing to wear to hockey games. I also looked at fur coats and picked one out. It is a Hudson Seal $185.00. Of course I fell in love with it and put a deposit on it so they will hold it until Cully gets home. He asked me if I could get one for around $150.00 and this is more so I don’t know what he will say. Ruby really knows furs and thought it was a good buy. I’d love it but if Cully thinks it is too much I can get a nice one there for less. It is at Evans, a big fur store and an old reliable business house. I’d get a lifetime guarantee on it. They will repair it, etc. as long as I wear the coat. After 2 years they will put in a new lining if it needs it.
Friday all of us went downtown too. 2 of the girls bought dresses. I just looked. We then had dinner in a cute place and went to a show. We saw Shirley Temple in, “Just Around the Corner.”
Thursday I enjoyed being with Polly and Hulgar. The 3 of us had a 12 lb turkey and all the trimmings. I ate until I almost burst. We went for a drive in the afternoon past the zoo and looked at the lions and bears. I came home about 9 o’clock. I thought I’d be afraid if I stayed late.
The boys have had tough luck. They lost to Detroit 4-0 and again last night to N.Y. 6-4. They play tonight and I sure hope they can win. They bought a new center so one of our boys will probably be sold. I hope it isn’t Cully. One never knows in this racket. I’m not worried about him going down though.
This afternoon we are having tea at Ruby’s at the Graemere Hotel and then will play bridge in Margaret Jenkins apartment. There will be quite a few of us there.
I’m glad you write carbons. By answering Helen’s letters I learn quite a bit of news about her too. I wish I’d hear from her.
I know your room will look nice. What color are you painting it?
I suppose Radcliffs were mad when they noticed you were all at Martel’s and they weren’t invited? Where do Martels live now?
I should write more but I must wash out some clothes and get ready to go to Ruby’s so I’ll close for now and write again soon.
Cully will be leaving New York after the game tonight and will arrive in Chicago tomorrow night. I’ll be glad to have him home again although I get along swell alone. Keep busy and the time goes fast.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading