Wednesday, December 3, 2008

241 7/5/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Tuesday, July 05, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Elmer just left for work and the children are still sleeping so I'll jot off a few lines.
We have really been sweltering in the heat. Just like last year at this time when the Bensons were here. We have had seven straight days of 100ยบ weather and before that the temperature was in the 90's. It seems to be a trifle cooler this A.M. and what a relief.
I'm going to make my reservations today. Also will get out the suitcases and start putting in things. I'm sure lucky you sent me the money because our car goes to the garage tonight when Elmer gets home. He will pull me with his dad's truck. He worked on it all day yesterday in the awful heat but couldn't get at the trouble. We had planned to go to Powderhorn last night to see the fire works so were so disappointed when Elmer couldn't fix the car. As the last resort, last evening Mary, Jimmy and I walked down to Carlson's and hinted about being taken. Our hints didn't work so we came home and Elmer got out the watermelon. After we filled up on that Elmer thought of asking his folks down for watermelon and then seeing what we could do about getting them to take us to Powderhorn. We all decided then we would force down another piece of watermelon if they came over. Elmer called them and they came and when we were at the table eating the melon, Mary suddenly stood up and said, "Grandpa, will you take us to Powderhorn to see the fireworks" and he said, sure he would, so we got to go after all.
Last Friday night we went to Ralph Woodfill's house-warming and had a very nice time. Frank has moved in with Ralph and Gerry because they have more room, but Frances sure hated to see her dad leave her. We had to take the children because we couldn't get a baby sitter but the kids went to sleep over there O.K. Mamie and everyone was there. They all say how all Hazel talks about is you folks. When Hazel left Minneapolis with Frank she didn't see any of her family for twelve years. I know that must have been hard to endure. Mayme hopes to get out there the latter part of the summer.
I'm taking the Empire Builder. I will get off at Seattle, I suppose, unless I hear from you differently. Now remember, I'm not company and don't treat me as such. We don't have to go anyplace at all, and I'll help around the house all I can.
I better get busy around here but will see you soon.
Love, Helen
I just made my reservations and got them for July 20th on the Empire Builder. I thought that was the Northern Pacific but it is the Great Northern.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading