Tuesday, November 4, 2008

717 3/3/1942 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts
Tuesday, March 03, 1942
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
It is a raining day today and the wind is blowing quite hard but I like the rain. We had several nice days of spring weather anyway and it still isn’t cold out. Yesterday I washed quite a few things and am glad I did now since today wouldn’t be a good day for it. I just wrote a letter to Jim and finished it just in time to give to Elmer because he was over at the office and stopped in here before going into town. I guess I told you I finished my roll of films and am so anxious to see them. I hope they all turned out good.
Next Tuesday the Black Hawks will be playing in Boston again so if Cully will be there I think we will go in again and see him. I hope he is feeling all right now but his leg must have been cut quite badly.
Yesterday (Monday), your letter came that was mailed Saturday afternoon so it came through real fast. I bet Sandra is a darling little girl and I would love to see her. Whenever the kids get a good picture of her I want to be sure and have one. After I have mine I am going to have George Ducret take some pictures of it because he has a camera that takes pictures inside the house just as well as outside. I hope the baby will sleep as much as Sandra does.
The lady at the store here has an elderly cousin who is down in Florida right now but is coming back here sometime this month. The store lady said she was sure she would be glad to come over here and help me out because she had mentioned how she hoped she would be able to find something to do when she came back. I don’t think I would even want anyone here very long but at first I think it would be a big help.
The wind is blowing so hard and the rain is coming in the front window like everything and there is no way I can stop it because it comes down through the top.
I guess I didn’t tell you that I had a nice letter from Aunt Ruth the other day did I. She said she was writing to you then too.
I have a lot of letters to answer so think I will write a lot today since rainy days are usually good days to catch up on letter writing. I won’t be able to mail this until tomorrow morning since I’m not going into town today so Elmer will take it in the morning so I will add on some more before mailing it.
With Love, Helen
Tuesday Night
Dear Folks,
We just finished eating supper and the dishes are done so I will add on some more to this now. I am glad you like to hear about the ocean because I surely like to tell you about it, especially when it is like it was today. It was rainy and stormy out today and whenever I went outside it was roaring so loud that it sounded just like a big train going right by in our yard. When Elmer came home at lunch time he said the road was even flooded that connects us to Newburyport. It wasn’t anywhere near deep enough to stop traffic but at least it had gone over the road so it is possible all right but the coast guard keeps good watch over the Island and roads during storms to see that no one gets stuck or anything.
This afternoon then I went over to Doris’s and she and her boys and I went down to the beach and I have never seen anything like it. I told her I wished you folks were here too to see the ocean. It was just foaming and the tide was out but was still much higher than it usually is when it is way in and the breakers were just terribly big and the swells were huge and when they broke it just went way up high so instead of looking down at the water we had to look up. We couldn’t see far out at all because it was so awfully foggy but I really saw a wild and stormy ocean today. I would love to have gotten a picture of it but it was so dark and foggy out that I know it would never have turned out. There are always people standing around just watching the ocean. A lot of them must drive out from town to see it because they don’t all live on the Island. There is a bank along the water at some places and the coast guard had a cave in the bank where they had some guns and the water went so high it washed the cave away. Tomorrow maybe it will be a clear day and then I will get some pictures of the ocean because I think it will be the same way since it is roaring so loud tonight. When we came back from looking at the water I waited for Elmer at Ducret’s since he and George got out his accordion and played some songs and we watched little Louie who is 18 months try to dance and of course it made me think of Bernice and I wished everyone I knew could see how cute she is and how she can really dance.
Well Folks, I guess I had better stop for now because I want to write to Glad and ask her if Cully is going to be playing next Tuesday night. I hope he is because I would like to see another game and see him too, and I will write to you again tomorrow.
When Bernice Swain has her baby don’t forget to tell me. I suppose she can have it any time now. Will write more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading