Saturday, November 1, 2008

797 10/16/1941 Elmer Carlson to Helen Carlson

Elmer Carlson
CCC Camp FWS #1, Folkston, Georgia
Thursday, October 16, 1941
Helen Carlson
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Darling Helen,
I’m lying on my swell cot on my beautiful room here listening to Amos and Andy. I’m afraid that you won’t want to come back to me when you hear that I’ve already killed two bed bugs, and if I stay here, I suppose I’ll have my clothes full of them. I don’t know what I can do, though. As it is, I have to drive about 30 miles to where I’m going to work and over a road which is supposed to be very bad, so I don’t like to get any farther away. Besides, there are tables here on which I can work. Anyhow, I’ll see what happens, and I’ll get into Folkston on Saturday. I may look around then and see if there is a decent place to stay.
I’ve been writing this letter off and on. The camp clerk here, named Wombel, has been especially nice to me. He has to stay out here all night tonight because he is “on duty.” Ordinarily, none of the men live out here. I have been answering the telephone for him here while he has been out for a while. I told him that I had already killed two bedbugs and he laughed and said, “only two?” He promised to have the boy try to clean out my bed tomorrow, so perhaps it will be all right.
I miss you terribly tonight, darling. I would do anything in the world just to have you put your arm around me. But don’t worry about me, darling, and please keep on having a good time. As soon as I wrote that, I felt better, because I love to have you having a good time. So you better keep writing to tell me how swell it is to see and talk to your folks. I envy them because they have your company, but they deserve it because they won’t have you long, and you belong to me forever. Don’t you darling?
I’m going to quit now and listen to Henry Aldrich. I’ll be thinking of you and wondering if you are listening too.
I love you forever, Helen, darling and billions of times.
Elmer
P.S. I wish you were here to address the envelope, etc. for me. See, how you have spoiled me?
Love, Elmer

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading