Sunday, November 30, 2008

145 2/3/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Tuesday, February 03, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Today was grandma's funeral and Pop I feel just terrible that I couldn't go. Jimmy broke out with the measles Sunday and I have been up practically the whole last three nights with him. I thought if he felt pretty good by Monday night I would call Florence and ask her to come over Tuesday morning and stay with the kids so I could take the bus down to Waseca, but Jimmy was really sick and the radio predicted 15 below by Tuesday morning so it seemed impossible for me to go. I feel so bad about it Pop, because here I am so close to Waseca and I couldn't even go to your mother's funeral. I sent flowers so they'll know I at least thought about them.
Jimmy seemed to feel better tonight and I sure hope he sleeps all night. The carpenters are here all day so we can't get naps in but tomorrow should be their last day and then Elmer and I will get busy on the painting.
Alvin Pope is getting married a week from Saturday in Chicago. Popes are going also to see him married and then they are going to drive on down to Texas to see Clarence. Alvin and his bride will come back to Minneapolis after the wedding and move into the new house Alvin just bought. Popes loaned him the money for the down payment. When they come back from Texas they are going to sell their house. Eden and Wally don't know what to do because the down payments on all the houses are so high and they just don't have it. Alvin is a veteran so he probably can get easier terms.
Morning:
We got our telephone yesterday. It is the only thing we didn't have to wait for. We were lucky to get one too as so many people have to wait for several months, because the cables are scarce.
My washing machine came yesterday and it is so nice. I washed a few things last night as I was anxious to try it. I will do the rest of my washing today. It is seven below this morning and supposed to be much colder by tonight. This house is so much warmer than Carlson's that we are comfortable at 70°.
I finally got paid from General Mills. My withholding tax is a little over 50 dollars so when I get it back I'm going to save it for my trip out there.
Well Folks I guess I'll have another cup of coffee before the kids wake up and then get dressed before the carpenters come. Jimmy slept good all night. Carlson's brought our dog over yesterday and he is lonesome and cried for a while last night. Temperature now nine below. I'm glad I don't have to go out in it. More soon Folks.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading