Wednesday, December 3, 2008

664 12/13/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Wednesday, December 13, 1950
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
A nice letter came from you a couple of days ago and I’m going to answer it right now. I finally have my packages all ready to mail so when Elmer gets home from work tonight he can dash up to the post office and send them off. It sure has taken me a long time to get my shopping and wrapping done this year. I had really forgotten how much work a new baby is, but this one keeps me on the run and all day long I am racing the clock. Before, with the first two, I didn’t have to make formula but now I do and that takes time every morning and then I wash every day too. This is the first time I have had a washing machine when I’ve had a baby and now I wonder how I ever did all that baby wash by hand and still have time for anything else. The only day I get out of the house is on Saturday and I have been doing my shopping then for Christmas. I order my groceries from the store and what I run out of during the week, like bread and little things, Elmer brings home from town with him. The box I packed Jim and Ruth’s gifts in was just large enough to take care of the presents for you folks so I am sending yours along with their box. Your present from the children is not in the box as I don’t have it yet and I’m afraid it will be late, but maybe it won’t. I’m going to tell you what it is. It’s a picture of all three kids. I had a photographer come to the house and take it. Davy is sound asleep in the picture but I think he will look cute anyway and we just couldn’t wake him up no matter what we did but I was so anxious for you to see him that I had the picture taken anyway. I’m just getting two pictures, one for us and one for you. I would like to have sent a picture to the others but they cost too darn much.
We have so much snow and I was surprised to hear over the radio this morning that it was zero out. It has only gone up to two above now by afternoon. More snow and warmer weather is the forecast, however.
I am glad that Gladys and Gail are feeling good by now. Viola had a letter from Glad this week telling about their new piano and about getting a television set. The girls will enjoy the television. Rogers have one and Jimmy and Mary wanted one so badly but I think their enthusiasm is beginning to wear off now. I sure am glad because half the time when they ran over to see something on Roger’s television they weren’t let in so they would come back home feeling disappointed as the dickens. Now they haven’t even gone over there for quite some time and I also did all I could to discourage them from looking at it.
Davy smiles for me once in awhile now. At first I thought it was just gas on his stomach but now I’m sure he really means it.
I finally called Clara to see how much she wanted for the crib. She said she wasn’t sure if she wanted to sell it after all because it would be nice to have in case she had company who had babies but then she said as long as she had told me she would sell it she would for 18 dollars. Of course I told her I thought she should keep it if she hated to part with it and that she didn’t have to sell it just because she had thought she would. I don’t know if 18 dollars is too much or not as I haven’t priced new ones yet but anyway Elmer said to call her and tell her we will get another crib as long as she isn’t sure about hers. She said something about the mattress could always be refilled so if that is shot the thing isn’t worth 18 dollars because the mattress is the most important part about it.
Elmer was typing letters the other night and during the night when I got up with the baby I saw he had written a letter to a company in Seattle and he hadn’t even mentioned it to me. He still hasn’t and I haven’t said anything to him about it either. The letter was under the other letters he had written, and it was already sealed. It at least makes me feel good that he considers jobs out there when he is writing about different ones. I’m not very optimistic about the results but the idea helps anyway.
I suppose Ralph will be spending Christmas with the Dahlstroms. I thought of putting something in the box for him and then decided I wouldn’t as long as he had said such awful things to Ruthie and Jeannie. Louise Schnable thought the Dahlstrom girls were so nice and she just raved about how darling little Gail is.
I guess by now you have received my other letter telling you I thought those shell earrings sound wonderful. I know Parry will like them.
Last Saturday I hurried downtown but drove up to 36th and Hennepin to catch the bus. That is the end of the line there so is the easiest place to get the bus without waiting. Anyway, when I drove along the curb to park to leave the car I got stuck in the snow but had the shovel in the car so was able to dig it out. Then I found a better place to park the car before getting on the bus. Then when I came home from town I wanted to stop on Lake and Hennepin but I couldn’t park anyplace as the snow plow had piled the snow so high against the curb it was impossible to park. Anyway, I came home and we asked Elmer’s mother if she would come over and sit with Davy for about an hour and she seemed to be very happy to. Elmer then took me back to Lake and Hennepin. We hurried like the dickens, though, because we kind of worried about how Davy and Grandma C. were getting along but Davy slept the whole time. Then, since Elmer’s Dad wasn’t home, we had his mother stay and have supper with us and afterwards she and the kids and I played rummy. She loves to play cards so she enjoyed herself.
Well Folks, I have about an hour before the kids come from school so want to try and get some doll clothes cut out as long as Davy is sleeping now. I don’t see how I can get very many made before Christmas, but Mother I can remember how you used to sit up at night just before Christmas making doll clothes for us.
Pop, I bet your new topcoat and jacket are nice.
I am sending you the money now in check for the gift you bought Parry and I also want you to know that I hope to start sending you more real soon on the money I owe you. It is just terrible that you haven’t been paid back yet.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading