Tuesday, November 25, 2008

40 9/24/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Sunday, September 24, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just wrote a note to Glad telling her the buggy came. It sure is nice to have even though I can't do much walking around here. Saturday I walked down to the milk place to get some milk and put Jimmie in the buggy too and it was easy as we were going down hill but it was really a struggle getting back even with Jimmie out of the buggy. Mrs. Brown went by on our way down and stopped and talked. It was the first time I had seen here since being here and felt so ashamed for not getting over to see her. She asked about you Mom. She liked you so much. Jimmie and I couldn't go to Sunday school and church today as our car is in the garage. It had to have a new battery and new bushings in the starter. Remember the scares we would get on the trip, Mom when the car wouldn't want to start. That was because the bushings were so worn.
Pop your letter came Saturday and it was so nice to hear from you. Here it is almost a year again since I have seen you. The time goes so fast but I always miss you folks and wish I lived a lot closer so I could see you real often.
Elmer has been working on the typewriter but there is more wrong with it than he thought so I guess we'll try to find a repairman.
Has any more snow fallen up on the mountains? It really gets cold here at night so we have to cover up with the blankets but the days are still nice and warm and sometimes really hot.
I give Mary vegetables now and all the baby foods. It's strange she didn't like pablum but I bought some Gerber's strained prepared oatmeal and she likes that. She really drinks her orange juice from a glass good now.
Did you find Jim a cigarette lighter. They are pretty scarce but I guess I told you I ordered mine from a New York store. It is just a cheap one but is supposed to light in any kind of weather and I hope it works as good as it sounded.
Your cement stepping stones will look so nice I know. I hope you folks never move to a different house because it is so nice to picture exactly everything you write about, and then when I get out there everything looks so natural I don't feel like I have ever been away.
Norris Dam is only about 25 miles from here, and quite nice there but nothing very special, although it is nice to try to get around a little while we are here. The Deans go all over but it is easy for them to go since they don't have any children. Mom, remember as we neared Chattanooga, that is where I called Elmer from the drug store, we saw all those signs about Rock City and saw what looked like a big hotel up on top of the mountain. Deans went up there last Sunday. They said it is a regular little village up there where they thought probably the "elite" from Chattanooga lived. They were supposed to see 7 states from the top but it was too cloudy. I wrote to Mrs. Gillard the other night. I know she will love the chair set because she was so crazy about mine.
Mary is getting a tooth and looks like it will come through any day. She is a perfect baby. When she gets sleepy she just wants to be put in her bed and then she just finds her fingers and puts them in her mouth and goes to sleep.
Jimmie just asked if I would please put him to bed which is a big surprise so I had better do it. Elmer took him down to the water ditch today so he had a lot of fun.
Well Folks goodnight for now. I want to write to Jimmie after getting Jimmie to bed.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading