Sunday, November 23, 2008

168 6/17/1944 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Saturday, June 17, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
It is really too hot to even write a letter but, will do the best I can.
Elmer went to work today so may have some mail for me tonight. He has stayed home the past two days to help us get settled.
Yesterday morning he and I drove into Knoxville to see about my ticket home. They could give me nothing West out of Kansas City sooner than 30 days. New Government orders.
I got a ticket for Chicago, leaving here next Tuesday night from Knoxville at 12:05. Can get on the sleeper at 9:30 for Cincinnati, Ohio. Will arrive there at 8:35 a.m. At 12 noon will take a day coach for Chicago and arrive at 6 that evening. I wired Gladys to make reservations West for me if possible. Otherwise will take a day train to Minneapolis. At the worst will only have to sit up two nights. Going through Chicago is the shortest way home from here.
Helen has the baby sleeping on a pad without a stitch of clothing on her. She is growing and is getting real fat. Has slept all night since coming here without eating during the night.
This place is so big it is hard to find one's way around. 60,000 people are living on the reservation. All this work has been done in a year's time.
I'll let you know what the Dahlstroms are able to get for me if anything. I'll be glad to get out of this heat.

Tell Stella I'll try to write to her before I leave. She certainly has been swell to you to invite you over so often and to such swell meals.
Did you promise to fix the church signs for Mrs. Osborn? Don't do it unless you want to.
Trust everything is going fine for you. With love, Sadie.
PS Elmer just came. Brought me three letters. Two forward from Lake Charles.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading