Sunday, November 23, 2008

7 6/15/1944 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Thursday, June 15, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
We reached the Reservation about 5:30 last night. After a very nice trip from Louisiana.
Helen called Elmer yesterday from Chattanooga saying we would be in Kingston by 4:30 where he was to meet us. We got there ten to four and waited for Elmer. He then brought us here. We got passes to come in. Helen has gone with Elmer now to have her picture taken. I'll go in the morning to have mine taken.
I am trying to write with the baby crying on my knee. Guess I'll have to wait and write later.
Well, she has gone to sleep so will try to write again.
Elmer laid off today to help us get settled. The express has not come, but we had the car packed full.
Our second night on the road we stayed in Mississippi. The third night in Alabama. Both states are very pretty.
Elmer had your letter written Sunday when he came to meet us yesterday. It made very good time.
Stella certainly has you over to good meals often. I know you enjoy her cooking and are glad to be invited. It was nice of Inez Gurstsen [?] to invite you over too.
Glad to hear you were feeling so good when you wrote. It begins to seem like a long time since I left home. Will be glad to get out there again away from so much heat. Last night is the first night since reaching the south that I have put more than a sheet over me any time. Toward morning I drew my bathrobe over me this morning.
Helen has a real nice place here. She feels real satisfied with everything.
We will find out about my return trip home right away so I can no doubt tell you in my next letter. I have worked all the time since coming south so have not written many cards. Will send Mrs. Hegberg a card today if I can get it written before the baby wakes up or the folks come home.
Franklin's gave you a lot for your 25 cents. After this you will want to go there instead of the Canteen.
Hope we hear from Jimmie soon. It is nearly two months now since he called us.
Yes, Helen lived in a garage apartment in Lake Charles. I had to go downstairs, wash clothes on a washboard under the back porch. Everything was done the hard way.
$1.15 is what we have been paying for the Times paper for ever so long a time. I did not know the paper girl was Mrs. Sprouse's daughter, though.
I'll tell you more about my trip when I get home. Tennessee is a pretty state too. If we had not been traveling with a three week old baby Helen and I would have gone to Rock City yesterday from where we could have seen seven states.
With love, Sadie

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading