Tuesday, November 4, 2008

436 3/2/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Monday, March 02, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

My dear Helen,
Two nice letters came from you today. I did not get a letter written to you last night as I had planned to.
We went to church. After our lunch I looked at the funnies, then washed dishes and went out in the yard to work. I have so many spring flowers in bloom. I worked until 5:30, then got our dinner. After I had eaten was so tired and sleepy went to bed early. This morning it rained and the little plants I worked around yesterday seemed to have grown an inch today.
Bernice Swain had her baby yesterday noon. A 6 ½ lb girl. Cliff was so sure they would have a boy. Girls are nice anyway. Did I tell you George Krang’s wife had a baby girl Thursday night?
Carl Gurtsen quit the store today. Cliff said something to him today that he could not and would not take. We all think Cliff is impossible. Some day I hope your father can see his way so he can quit too.
Your weather is changeable there, one day nice, then high winds and snow. I have never seen the Pacific without breakers. The Sound is calm at times, but the ocean is always rolling and breaking with constant roar.
Yes, we heard Roosevelt’s address last week. He said a lot of things we appreciated. We certainly hope the Russians can continue to drive the Germans back. Oh, how I hope this war can end quickly.
Yes, Stella reads most of your letters written to us or I tell her about what you have written. I think Jimmie does get homesick at times. He has come home whenever he could and then has written nearly every day since going over there. When I do miss a day he remarks about it. I know he enjoys hearing from you.
Last night I did a lot of thinking about all the young boys in the country and how lonely they get for the home folks. I know how happy it made Wally D. last summer to come up here to see the kids. Then I thought about Bob. It was certainly nice that he could come to see you folks. How long had it been since you had seen him?
How far is Camp Dix from you? It is awful the way the Germans have been sinking the oil tankers in the Atlantic. Over the radio I just heard how another boat had been sunk. Said 24 had gone down since January 1st.
In reading the rest of your letters I see you said Bob had come nearly 300 miles to see you. It must have disappointed him when he could not find you after reaching the island. It was good the store lady knew you.
If your landlord has a lady friend they may not bother you. We hope not anyway.
Gladys wrote to me about Cully getting hurt, but we did not know it happened that night you saw him in Boston. Hope he was able to play in last night’s game in Chicago. His mother is supposed to be there now visiting and he wanted to be able to play while she is there.
I must work on my Wednesday night lesson now. Will answer your today letters tomorrow night. Stella and I both agree you would not use more than 12 diapers in 24 hours. One never wakens a little baby to change them, and they sleep most of the time the first three months.
Much love to you both, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading