Sunday, November 9, 2008

494 5/30/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Sunday, May 30, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just finished a letter to Glad so will write to you now. Elmer is going to write a letter tonight to the White River Lumber Company telling them his experiences and what he can do and I’m going to mail it to Glad to give to Cully. We thought he might either give it to someone at work or if he doesn’t feel like he should do that he can just mail it from town. I certainly would love to get out there and see all of you.
Louise, this Jewish girl who has been having so much trouble with the old landlady Mrs. Walter, has been in Houston the last two months visiting. She just came back Saturday and called me up Saturday night to tell me about the big fight she and Mrs. Walter had had that day. She said as soon as she got in the house Mrs. Walter came right over and started calling her a dirty Jew and swearing at her and acting just terrible. Louise said after being gone for two months she was all set to act nice to Mrs. Walter and forget how she had been acting. Mrs. Walter called Louise some simply filthy name and Louise asked her what she said again so she repeated it so Louise handed her baby over to the maid and ran out of the house and intended to have it out with Mrs. Walter. Mrs. Walter took a stick and started hitting Louise so Louise stared beating up on Mrs. Walter and knocked her down and broke her arm and then she went in the house and called the police. Mrs. Walter has had strict orders to stay off from Louise’s place so when she tried to get up Louise wouldn’t let her because she wanted the police to see just where she was. They took Mrs. Walter to the hospital and fixed her arm and then arrested her and then she turned around and had Louise arrested for disturbing the peace. She certainly is crazy. They are both out on a bond and the trial is coming up either this Tuesday or a week from then and Louise wants me to be sure and go and I wouldn’t miss it for anything. Mrs. Walter hasn’t a chance in the world because everyone in town who knows her at all has had trouble with her.
Annie wants to go out to Washington so bad and I told Elmer I bet anything if we asked her to go with us she would. You asked me if she was black and she is very but Jimmie isn’t afraid of her anymore at all. He is getting over being afraid of everyone anyway and I certainly am glad.
Well Folks I guess I better stop so Elmer will get busy and write his letters. He has been reading a magazine and I noticed he just put it down so I know if I don’t make him start writing he will be asleep in two minutes. More later Folks,
With Love, Helen
Sarah Fackler just hates it in Wyoming and said she would give anything to be back in Louisiana. She said Wyoming is just a place for Indians and burros.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading