Saturday, November 1, 2008

427 2/13/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Friday, February 13, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

My dear Helen,
Your two nice valentines came yesterday. Many thanks. Bernice was happy with those you sent her too. She stayed with me last night and was a very good little girl. She takes a notion every little while that she wants to stay all night over here. I took her home late this afternoon.
I have neglected you again the past few days. Have been washing and ironing clothes for Jimmie. I sent his laundry box this afternoon. Today we got an airmail letter from him saying that between 800 and 1000 had quit school and that the school was cutting down on the jobs and help they had been giving students. He had lost his $30.00 month job and that the $15.00 job offered him was at the hours he had to turn out for military so could not take it. He said he would have to quit school and come home. We telephoned him tonight and told him to stay. School lets out the last of May and we want him to finish the year at least.
We got his grades from the college yesterday. He passed in everything. English he was carrying without a credit, but for the rest he got 12 ½ credits. This semester by not playing football he can carry more subjects. He got C in his two major subjects B.A. 44 and B.A. 37. He is going to study hard and try to get good grades in everything. When we talked with him tonight he said he had been asked to join the college band, so now that he is to stay at school he will.
Stella said she had to pay 65.00 for ten days at the hospital. I wish I could visit you this spring and help you when you come home from the hospital. Maybe Gladys can get down just at the right time to be of help. One feels so helpless at first with a little new baby. Whatever you do, do not try to do too much work at first. You will feel stronger sooner by not over-doing at first.
Stella looks and feels fine. Little Sandra is such a good baby too. She loves to have someone talk to her. I think she looks more like Harold every day. Her eyes are so blue too.
I am glad you continue to feel so good and there is no reason to feel otherwise.
I have several of your letters I have not really answered. It is after midnight now. I wrote to Gladys after talking to Jimmie so got at my writing late tonight.
Much love to you and Elmer.
Mother.
Thanks again for the nice valentines. Papa was pleased with his, and I know I was with mine.
Good morning Helen & Elmer,
So you think it is fun to live by the ocean. I think you have a fine place and hope that you can stay there a long time, it should be swell in the summer time.
I want to thank you again for the Saturday Evening Post. I like it very much. It’s rather dark mornings but we will like the longer evenings this summer.
John Topolski is having his vacation this week. Harold ___, a new man, will be away next week. Well I must eat and get to work.
Love, Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading