Monday, November 17, 2008

566 3/13/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Monday, March 13, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
A nice letter came from you this morning and I’m glad you happened to mention about the Gillis boy because I never received that letter. I changed our address on Saturday and we moved Sunday but mail evidently was delivered there Monday because when Frances was over the other night she said some mail had come for me including the letter from Jim. She said it was quite a while before she forwarded it. I told her I still hadn’t received it.
I’m surprised to hear Jim is gambling. He had told me when he was coming to see us that he had gambled but had stopped and wasn’t going to do it any more. He hasn’t been sending us money for the car because when he was sent to Florida I told him to forget about it since he would probably be going overseas soon. I had a letter from him last week and he sounded very disgusted with himself and said he wasn’t even going to take girls out anymore. He didn’t tell me though that he had been gambling. At least he told you where his money went.
Jessie’s husband is no good and everyone knows it but Jessie. He has wired her for 80 dollars the last two months and given such crazy reasons for it but Jessie believes him.
I had a letter from Glad telling about Cully getting his draft call. I hope he won’t have to go.
About the Gillis boy, I knew a Bob Gillis in Minneapolis at school but can’t remember a Gillis boy in Enumclaw.
I bet your car does look swell. We finally got our new gas book but they held it back for a week as a penalty. Wouldn’t it be swell if you folks could drive down here. I know that is out of the question though. Mother you can’t come down unless you take a sleeper. That would be a terrible trip by bus or coach and it is such a long way. I’m going to find out about the price of tickets and we’re going to go in on your ticket too. In ordinary times a bus or coach wouldn’t be so bad but now it is too terrible. If you were here when I went to the hospital it would be grand, but then on the other hand it is a shame to come all this way and me having to be in the hospital. We can’t plan on your coming after I’m well because we know we’ll be leaving soon after. If you came earlier we could get around and see things and go down to the Gulf and Jim no doubt would still be in Florida so maybe he could get up or you and Jimmie and I could go down there. I would love to have you here when I’m in the hospital because then I wouldn’t have to worry about Jimmie but then I hate to be laid up while you’re here too. Still we’re almost certain to be here a month after the baby is born but then I don’t even know that for sure. It would be nice if Glad could come down the same time and then you could go back to Enumclaw together. If Elmer goes into the army I would be going back with you. Everything is happening exactly the same time. The baby, the job ending, and the deferment up. Let’s try to decide soon though because you’ll have to make reservations. Elmer drives Monday and Tuesday but Wednesday I’ll find out about tickets. It certainly will be swell seeing you. Jimmie says he wants Mamma to come and see him.
I like my permanent and the lady I left Jimmie with was white. He doesn’t like colored people at all. Jimmie has a bad cold but is outside because the sun is so hot it should do him good.
It’s time to fix some lunch now so will stop but will write more later. I think you will like Lake Charles.
Love, Helen
Tuesday morning
I didn’t get your letter mailed yesterday and am going out to mail it pretty soon. At 6 o’clock this morning someone knocked on our door and it was Jim. He has a ten day furlough but just found out Sunday he could get it so left Sunday night. He was dead tired so went to bed as soon as Elmer left. I hope he sleeps all day to get caught up. Mom, Elmer says you have to take a sleeper down here. Jim is all in from two nights on the bus. He said traveling that way was awfully hard and he had to stand up a lot of the time. He expects to be sent to Long Beach, California before being sent across so hopes you can go down there to see him. Another letter came from you today. I won’t mention the gambling. We can be thankful Jim is truthful. Dishonesty is a worse vice than gambling and probably he has learned a lesson. Wish you were here too.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading