Thursday, December 4, 2008

675 3/16/1951 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, March 16, 1951
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just hung up from talking to you, Mother, so I will write right now. Davy is definitely getting better but he is still yellowish. I could see the difference today when Parry came over with her little boy and he is so very white that it really showed Davy up but Davy is so much lighter than he was. Now his legs and hands and arms are about as white as they should be and also his forehead but he still has the yellow tinge on the rest of him and his eyes are still a little greenish, but they also are much, much clearer. I did have Mrs. Reed stop working for him this week but will call her again if I think it is necessary. I could see Davy improve when she was working for him and she certainly did a lot for my peace of mind also.
Mary has written all of you letters again because she was home all week with the chicken pox. She felt good though but got pretty bored from staying in the house. Next week is Easter vacation so she will be fine by then. She was really covered.
Mrs. Dahlstrom called me the other day and wanted me to send her a slack pattern that she remembered I had bought two years ago. She was making the Dahlstrom girls slacks. She called back the next day and said she had gotten one from someone else so I didn’t need to send it. She told me how Ralph had some land in California that he was going to sell and then he was going to build a house and they could come out there and live if they wanted to. I really don’t think they would ever leave Minneapolis but they would have a place to stay when they wanted to go out and visit. I wonder what Gladys had to tell Stella. Stella said she had called her today but she wasn’t home.
I hope your cold is better Mother. I have had one this week too but it is much better tonight. I went to the bank after supper tonight as it is open on Friday nights and I wanted to deposit Elmer’s check. I was so glad the chains were on the car because the streets are a sheet of ice and terribly slippery.
Saturday night we are going over to Corl’s. Ferstroms and Martins will be there too. I’m looking forward to it because we have been out so seldom this winter and we had worried so much about Davy that it will just seem good to get out. Warnie just got back last week from the Orient and he brought me back a present and will give it to me tomorrow night. Before coming back he took his clothes to a laundry over there and it cost nine cents in American money for the whole bundle. He said he wouldn’t like to live over there as it is too different.
Are you going to have the store opened Easter? One nice thing about this terrible winter is nobody will need any new Easter clothes. It looks like it will be a long time before we put the winter coats away.
Well Folks I will stop for this time but I believe the telephone calls from you do me more good than anything. I’ll call the next time which will be soon. In the meantime Davy can use plenty of help and I’m so glad to have the Highlights you sent me. I’m sure that the fact I’m not worried about him anymore and I feel sure he is alright right now has been the biggest obstacle to overcome. What’s even better than that is that Elmer doesn’t think anything is wrong with him either. Goodnight for now folks and thanks for calling and I’ll write soon.
Love, Helen
P.S. I’ll enclose Mary’s letter. She has written everyone letters this week.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading