Sunday, November 9, 2008

513 7/19/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Monday, July 19, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
A nice letter came from you this morning and the first thing I want to mention is that I did get the picture of Jim. I wrote to him and told him how much I liked it and must have thought I had told you too. In writing to both of you often it’s so easy to repeat things I have already told you. I think the picture is very good of Jim but such a difference from his graduation picture. I guess he is no longer a little boy anymore. I think he looks so nice in his uniform. Wouldn’t it be swell if he were sent to Washington. If he were in Spokane even you could see him now and then. He has been so lucky so far so maybe he will. Right now I think he is having the time of his life in Los Angeles and I am glad he has a chance to do some running around because if he ever has to get in the fighting he won’t have a chance to enjoy himself.
We had a letter from Bob today and he said he knew he has aged ten years. His letters sound like he will be awfully glad to get home and I know they all will be. We’ll be a lucky family if Jim doesn’t have to go across.
There is a small carnival here in town so Saturday night we took Jimmie down there. I took him on the merry-go-round but he wouldn’t sit on the horse so we sat on one of the seats. Sunday night we went again and this time he rode on the horse and thought it was so much fun we had an awful time getting him away. When the horse first started to go up he looked kind of scared but then decided it was fun.
This hot weather is really awful, although I don’t mind it like so many do. I try to keep the family eating good though but both Elmer and Jim have lost their appetites. I don’t think Jimmie will fade away though as long as he drinks so much milk.
Jimmie is in his bed now but not sleeping, but is just playing and making a lot of funny noises. He has the fan on him so should be quite comfortable. After rocking Jim for a whole year I never thought the day would come when I could put him to bed awake and he would go to sleep by himself without crying. I’m glad I had that time to rock him though.
I bet your blackberry jam will be good. Did you get the sugar stamps all right. I think I explained how I sent you the wrong stamps. I sent you 14 & 15 instead of 15 & 16. I guess 14 aren’t good yet so shall I send you 16? I bought sugar with one canning stamp because we drink so much lemonade. I’ll send you this 16 stamp anyway. When is 14 good anyway?
I haven’t worn my new hat yet. It is kind of a yellow and brown material with a purse to match. It will be good all fall and winter at least down here.
I bet Sandy likes the puppy. When Jimmie is outside alone and a dog starts coming over to him he starts running as fast as his fat legs can move hollering mama, mama. He isn’t afraid if someone is with him though.
Well Folks, I guess I will stop for now and take a nap too.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading