Monday, October 27, 2008

328 6/18/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Route 3, Wayzata, Minnesota
Saturday, June 18, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
It has been so long since I have written you I hardly know where to start.
Monday night I went to Vi’s to club. The girls gave me a personal shower and I received many lovely things. Vi gave me a pink nightie. From the others I got 3 hankies, a compact, a white linen purse, 2 pair white gloves, a cosmetic bag, and a pair of wine-colored beach or cottage slippers. Also an apron.
We didn’t get out to the lake until 1 o’clock Tuesday night. Helen and Virg came over. We played crazy bridge and ate kippered snacks and crackers. Wednesday I was invited to the shower on Eden but Cully didn’t want to take me into town and wait for me because he had to go in Thursday again to play ball. We put patches on the screens and fixed a long extension light out to the toilet. We manage to keep plenty busy out here. We have to carry our drinking water 2 blocks so get a big supply every night. I have rain water for dishes, etc.
Thursday, while Cully played ball, I went over to see Helen and got your 2 letters. I’m glad you have sent them there – she always saves them for me anyway. We drove over to Della’s and got my ironing board.
Pop – Cully likes his work very much and their ball team hasn’t lost a game yet.
We brought Ralph home with us Thursday night. He sure loves it out here. He is down at the dock fly fishing now. Yesterday we went for a nice swim and when Cully came home we went out fishing. The 3 of us caught 32 nice ones in less than 2 hours. Most of them were sun fish – a few bass.
We have not had any hot nights yet and hope we don’t for a long time. I’m glad you folks are enjoying the cabin so much. It certainly is more than worth what you pay for it.
Shall I send your pie platter and silverware back to you mother? I also have a couple pair of curtains that perhaps you or Stella could use. Let me know?
It seems awfully nice to use the old familiar dishes again. I have plenty too. In fact, we didn’t have to buy one thing – not even a can opener.
Cully is dandy about helping with the work. He is home before 5 every night and then dips right in. He thinks it is swell out here and likes to fish and swim. His folks are coming out this afternoon to go fishing too.
Addie leaves Sunday morning with her girl friend to go on a tour through the west. It is over the Northern Pacific. They will see Yellowstone by bus and then to Yakima by train. From Yakima to Seattle by bus and will stop at Sunrise over night. They will be in Seattle one day. I guess they take them to Bremerton on the (Kalackala?) and then leave the King St. station at 11:30. She wanted me to tell you so in case you wanted to go in to see her. I forgot the day though. They will go down through California – will spend several days in Los Angeles and return via New Orleans and Chicago. It will take 3 weeks. I don’t think the bus will stop in Enumclaw at all but if it does she said she’d call you.
Vi is coming out Monday night and will stay until Thursday. Wally, from Weyerhauser’s in Tacoma, called us and left his number. I called him Thursday from Eden’s. He said the whole office said “Hello” and that they missed me. The new girl’s name is Betty and not nearly as good as I was. It made me feel pretty swell. He goes back Sunday so we can’t see him. They have so much to do and have hardly had a decent visit with his folks so can’t spare the time.
Helen Brust Erickson had a 7 lb baby girl yesterday morning. Both are fine. Helen was to club Monday night and really did look wonderful. She and Eddie are building a new home in St. Louis Park. Clara and Vernie are going to buy a home soon too. They are looking around now.
Pretty soon I am going to take a bath in the dish pan. That is one real inconvenience out here.
Well, I’ll stop for now. Hope you can read the scribbling. I’ll try to write more often than I have lately.
Wish I could be there to can some strawberries too.
Love to you all, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading