Friday, November 28, 2008

792 10/28/1946 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
Box 281, Sparta Pike, Lebanon, Tennessee
Monday, October 28, 1946
Albert Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert and Jimmie,
Well, I am here at Helen’s. She has kept me so busy have not written a word to you since I arrived.
I had to hurry for my train at Cincinnati, but made it. It rained hard all that night. I rented a pillow so slept some. We were late into Nashville Friday morning.
Elmer took the day off so they were all there to meet me. We had breakfast in Nashville, then drove on here to Lebanon. Elmer had to buy chains for his car before we could come on home. A road crew has been working on the road in front of the house all summer. There are only a few inches of top soil, then this rock and clay. With the rain the road was terrible.
Elmer was home all day Saturday so we did not try to get out. Helen and I went down the road to Ellis’s store for a few things.
Yesterday, Sunday, Helen and I went to church. After dinner they took me through Andrew Jackson’s home. It was very interesting. From there we went on into Nashville to get my suitcase and find out about trains. I have asked for a berth out of Chicago for Thursday night. That means I’ll have to leave here Thursday morning. My train leaves Nashville at 6:50. Helen doesn’t like to have me go, but she would feel that way no matter if I were to stay several days longer. I’ll know today about the berth.
Helen, the children and I are going into town today. We will shop this afternoon, meet Elmer at 4:30, then go for a fried chicken dinner. Helen said something about a show tonight in Nashville, but I told her not to if it was just to entertain me. We went to a cowboy show Saturday night.
Mary and Jimmie are nice little children. Mary talks so cute. Tomorrow Helen has ten ladies coming for tea and to meet me. A lot of bother for nothing.
A nice letter from you and one from Mrs. Ellsworth came. She is going to stay in Minneapolis until after November 1st so to see me. I will arrive in Minneapolis at 9 A.M. – plan to have her meet me, spend the day with her downtown, then, if I can get a bus out in the evening for Waseca, will go down for a day. Will have to stop off at Frank’s for a day which will bring me home the first or middle of next week. Wish I was going right through to home from Chicago. I dread all those stops in Minnesota more than all the rest of the trip. I am anxious to get home now and see you and get to work. Will try to write more this evening.
Much love, Mother.
The weather is lovely, like summer.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading