Saturday, November 1, 2008

707 5/31/1940 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
208 S. Ash St., Guthrie, Oklahoma
Friday, May 31, 1940
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

208 S. Ash St, Guthrie, Oklahoma
Dear Folks,
I received your nice letter today at our new place. I thought you explained about operations very good mother. That was certainly too bad about Stella’s hand getting in the ringer. I hope it is all right now but I’m sure it must be if she could go on with her washing. It probably scared her too.
Today I tried to find out that May’s number who lives in Tulsa. The operator called the General Mills office in Tulsa for me and they told her that John had been transferred to the office in Oklahoma City. His name is spelled Juelsrud and so then the operator called Oklahoma City and got their home telephone number. I called and some girl answered the phone and said May was working for General Mills too so we are going into the City tomorrow (Saturday) and look her up. I am so anxious to see her.
Doris was over here today and we sewed and Fred picked her up after work. After dinner tonight we were getting ready to go to the show when Harneds came over. We started to play some bridge when Dr. Harned’s son and daughter-in-law came over here looking for them. Both the Harneds have been married before. After they left we drove over to our old house to see if any mail had been left but there wasn’t any so then we stopped and had a coke and then came home. Elmer is asleep on the davenport now.
This afternoon Doris and I walked over to see Bullocks. They are the people who lived across the hall from us. I wanted to tell them how Mrs. Kittlinger bawled me out and we had a lot of fun laughing about it because she had acted the same way to them. Mrs. Kittlinger has the name in Guthrie as being peculiar and a money maker. She really is a shrewd business woman but pulls some of the funniest things that people who know her don’t like to rent from her. I guess she is the wealthiest woman in Guthrie. Mr. Kittlinger is young enough to be her son. He was engaged to her daughter but she died so he married Mrs. Kittlinger. He is really nice and goes around apologizing to the people Mrs. Kittlinger has quarreled with.
Well I just woke Elmer up and made him go to bed. Tomorrow night since we will be in Oklahoma City we plan to go to Spring Lake and dance. That is a place on the order of Excelsior in Minneapolis. I sent my dress that you folks bought for me to the cleaners so will have that nice to wear tomorrow. I’ve just worn and worn that dress and I always feel dressed up in it.
When Elmer came across that big snake he said he didn’t turn around and run because it was so close to him he wanted to keep his eye on it so he just backed up as fast as he could and then finally the old snake gave a jump and went crawling up a tree. Elmer has seen several of them since but they have been told which ones are poisonous and which ones aren’t.
Today I took my watch down and one jeweler said it would cost 3.50 to fix it and the other one said a dollar and a half so I left it at that place. I was glad I had inquired at both jewelers.
Tell Jim that I showed the girl who lived across the hall from us his picture and she said she would like to meet him. She is younger than Jim and awfully cute and is from Texas so has quite a Southern accent. I’ve been going to write to Jim but I guess he knows that I think about him all the time anyway.
I went to bed once tonight but was so wide awake I got up again. It’s a swell night out and if I were single I would certainly want to be out but I think we will have a good time tomorrow in Oklahoma City.
The mechanic out at camp is going to fix our car up and will do it much cheaper. I don’t remember how much it will cost but not as much as a garage would charge and then we will feel more like driving around more. I want to go to Tulsa. Tulsa is called the Packard City of the world because it is such a wealthy oil town.
Well I guess I will write a letter to Mrs. Ellsworth while I’m in the mood. I don’t want her to think I have forgotten her.
With Love, Helen
I just addressed the envelope and forgot and put our old address on it but will leave it that way this time.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading