Saturday, November 29, 2008

116 8/2/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Saturday, August 02, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
This is Bob's wedding day and they should be married by now as they had an appointment with the Justice at eleven this morning. They will stop here afterwards to pick up Bob's suitcase to take out at the lake. His best man, Jack, came from Aitkin yesterday evening and was here for dinner and spent the night. Like Jim, Bob didn't have a new suit but he looked very nice this morning in his old one. I took some pictures of him and Jack and will take some more when they come back.
The plumber who was going to work on our house says he doesn't know when he can get around to it now so I have been busy trying to find another one. So many of them don't have licenses for St. Louis Park. The mill work will be delivered Tuesday.
Later:
We went up to Port Arthur for lunch and now are down at Lake of the Isles sitting in the shade and it is nice and cool here. Tomorrow, Sunday, we are going somewhere and have a picnic lunch. I hate to eat at Carlson's on Sunday because she always has a big dinner and it is too hot to go to all that work and have so many dishes to do afterwards.
I almost bought Jim and Ruth an Indian blanket yesterday. They were on sale and very nice and I thought they could use it for picnics or even on their bed but then I decided as long as I had asked you for suggestions I better wait until I heard from you. I wish Jim could be nice to Ruth. I think he would be happier if he were. I'm sure Ruth enjoyed their trip up to Sunrise. I hope she gets her baby girl.
We are setting October for the time when we move into our house but we hope it will be sooner. The time goes so fast though that even October will be here before long.
Mother, even though you don't wear your watch often, maybe you should wind it every day anyway. I'll ask Al Sleizer if it makes any difference.
Mon. Evening
Dear Folks,
I'll finish this and then walk up to the mail box and mail it. Bob got married O.K. and he and Dolores were over for dinner tonight. I think they are going to get along fine. She is crazy about Bob and he is anxious to make a go of their marriage.
The weather is terribly hot. This afternoon we went swimming. I took grandma along and she enjoyed sitting in the shade at the beach. There was a pretty nice breeze blowing there.
Well Folks, I will stop for now but will write again soon.
Love, Helen
We went to Como Park Sunday for our picnic lunch and had a very good time. The kids thought all the animals were wonderful. Como is a nice big park and there were lots of people there but still plenty of space. More later.
Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading