Sunday, November 23, 2008

603 5/28/1944 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington
Sunday, May 28, 1944
Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Sadie,
Just got back from town. I ate at the canteen. Cost me 1.05 + 3 tax, tip and all. That roast pork, boiled spuds not mashed, dressing, salad, soup, apple pie and a small amount of apple sauce with the pork. I finished my coffee with my meal so when she gave me my dessert she said will you have another cup of coffee and I certainly would. There was no extra charge for that. After eating I went out to Berg’s store and got bread and ½ pint cream. I bought ½ pint G.H. cream from Moran Friday evening. It was a little sour Saturday morning. They don’t take as good care of it as a grocery man would.
Gee Sadie, I feel so swell now that I could fly. I feel as though about 25 lbs had been taken off each leg. I noticed it after I finished reading the lesson just before I went downtown. I will try hard to hold the gain and gain more.
One night I was tempted to call Mrs. Martel but I figured we had handled the case so far and could continue to do so. All I had to do was to keep after old mortal mind. Well it is now 7:20 and I want to read some so will stop until tomorrow evening. I have a good start on tomorrow’s letter now.
Pop
Monday evening 9:15 PM
I did not finish this when I came home this evening but hurried down to the P.O. to get a letter. It was there ok, also one from Gladys. They are having a time finding a place to live. She was going to write you same day she was writing to me. I read the letters downtown and then went over to the Benson’s with them. I didn’t stay there at all. Stella asked me to stay and eat with Harold but I didn’t. Stella felt quite punk today but did her washing.
I went into Swain’s to say goodbye to him but he says that the place hasn’t been sold. The man from Puyallup looked it over. He wants to buy the building. Also the Bakum building that Swains use for warehouse but the store building is tied up in the Gross Estate. Ben said that the Gross kids are trying to break his will. He left them each $25.00. Cliff will have to go into the army June 1st or get into some war plant.
I got along fine down to the shop today but still need plenty of help if you can find time.
I will have to buy a Federal Stamp $5.00 before July 1st.
Mr. Hawthorne came to the house about 9 PM just after I got home the second time (I saw him at Swain’s) and invited me to go to Seattle tomorrow evening to see a double header ball game. I told him I thought it would be too late for me but he said I ought to be able to stay out one night so I said I would go. He was asking some young fellow to go, and asked if I knew anyone that would like to go. I thought of Charley right away and Ralph said that was ok. We found Charley at Blessing’s playing cribbage. He certainly was tickled. We will leave about 6 tomorrow evening and get home after midnight.
This evening for supper I had half a can of vegetable soup, same of corn. Shredded up a slice of boiled ham with some cheese and fried it with two eggs. Was very good. Also had tea and cookies. May have the same meal tomorrow evening.
Gee Helen is getting home quick from the hospital.
I am glad that you like it there and that folks are so nice. Sorry to hear about your leg and feet being sore when you arrived there. Better leave that stuff to me. Another time you had better take a Pullman sleeper. It was nice of you to take that soldier to dinner. Well I will stop now. Love to you all. Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading