Sunday, November 9, 2008

518 8/9/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Monday, August 09, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I had a letter from you today written Thursday when you were on watch, Mom. Did you have a nice time at Gossard’s? I wish I could have been there with you. We’ve had such a long stretch of hot weather and this evening it began to cloud up and everyone thought it was going to rain but it passed on by. It is a little cooler though but still hot in the house but quite comfortable out on the porch with the fan on. After supper tonight I took Dottie Barrow and Jimmie out to the park to see the animals. They swing on the swings and got on the teeter totter. Jimmie thought that was lots of fun.
Elmer is still laid up but feels pretty good tonight. Yesterday, Sunday, the pain started in again and he had to have two more hypodermics during the day. I told him if he would have some faith in C. S. he would be alright and we wouldn’t have a big doctor bill to pay either. I read a couple sections of the lesson for him but then switched it to Jim and the war instead because I figured as long as he doesn’t believe in C. S. there’s no use wasting my time reading for him.
Today I had to buy two cotton dresses. I didn’t have many dresses and just had to have something cool so now I have these two and that green one I bought on the rainy day that are really comfortable and can be worn without slips. I can’t even wear the linen skirts in this weather because they are too heavy. I hate to spend money on clothes when I can get along alright but decided if we spend our money on doctors I might just as well get the clothes I need. Don’t you think so?
I had a letter from Jim written soon after he had called you. He doesn’t seem to think much of the camp in Salt Lake City so I am glad he doesn’t expect to be there long. He told me too that the mail service was so poor there that I might just as well wait until he got settled again. If he gets a furlough I sure would love to get home.
This morning when I went downtown to buy my dresses I had Addie Ruth come over to stay with Jimmie as Elmer was in bed and Mrs. Barrow does so many nice things for me I don’t like to leave Jimmie with her too much. Anyway when Addie Ruth came in Jimmie knew right away I was going away. He sat on the bed with Elmer the whole time I was gone and Elmer said whenever Addie Ruth came in the room to see if he would go to her he would say bad, bad, and grab Elmer. I know she is good to him though. He doesn’t mind at all being left with Mrs. Barrow or Mrs. Wait, the woman upstairs.
Just about every night I take Jimmie across the street to the school grounds and the other children around here always come over too. It is too hot during the day to let Jimmie out much so at night he can hardly wait. He can swing on the trapeze bar. I keep my hands on him so he can’t fall but he really hangs on all by himself. Yesterday I was lucky enough to get a roll of film, the first in ages so when I finish the roll and get them developed I’ll send you a copy.
Eden said Clarence was engaged to a girl in Texas but they aren’t going to be married until the war is over.
I’m sending you this booklet on Tunisia that Bob sent us. You don’t have to send it back.
I owe so many letters. A lot of extra ones now because as my friends here are transferred they write to me and I’ve fallen down on my writing since the weather is so hot.
Well Folks maybe I better quit now and write a couple other letters. I hope I’ll be seeing you before so very long.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading