Sunday, November 30, 2008

132 12/6/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Saturday, December 06, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I finally got my typewriter back so will try it out by writing a letter to you. It is just like a new machine and so far is a little stiff but I will probably get used to that. I have lots of typing to do this weekend. I brought home an awfully lot of work Thursday night and Elmer and I stayed up until 12:30 last night filing some letters. So far between the two of us working on the stuff we have made ten dollars this weekend. Now I have all the filing up to date. On that work I kept track of my time and will be paid accordingly. On the labels I will be paid seven dollars a thousand. Elmer will bring all the finished work to the office in the morning before he goes to his office. Then I can go down later in the day to pick up new work. This arrangement is much better than leaving the children all day and I will make as much or more than I did before because I won't have to pay Florence.
I had a nice letter from you Friday. That was terrible about Jim's oil burner blowing up. It was lucky Jim wasn't hurt real badly. I hope the insurance will cover everything they will have to pay out. Are they back in their own place by now.
I have been awfully slow about getting my package to all of you mailed this year but have it ready now to put in the mail Monday. I am sure it will still get there in time. I don't see how you had much time for Christmas shopping either mother.
Mrs. Carlson is feeling real good at the present and she really is a very nice person when she is feeling good. Our furnace still isn't in and that is one thing we didn't figure on being held up for. As long as we won't be in by Christmas it doesn't matter so much to me now when we get in the house, although Elmer says he is sure we will be in right after the first of the year. If we have heat at Christmas time we are going to put our tree up in our new house. We can't have lights until after the plaster is on, but we could go over Christmas morning and build a fire in the fireplace and I would have Christmas candles around and I think we would have lots of fun that way. Glad and Cully might be able to come over too but I suppose they will have to spend Christmas with Cully's folks. I sure am anxious to see the kids. When they go to Chicago I would like to keep her girls during the day. I could take them sliding and lots of places with me. I hope Mrs. Dahlstrom will let me have them a lot.
I am going to ask Nellie and Florence to invite their folks over for dinner so I can have the kids here and we can spend an evening together that way. There will be lots of things going on for them. They are going to see lots and lots of snow. We have had so much of it and it is pretty before it gets dirty. The temperature still hasn't gone down real low and I hope it will hold off until after Glad and Cully have been here.
I bought the baby a nice car seat and it is even nicer than I thought as I paid a dollar ninety eight for it and when I got home I saw the tag and it said $3.98.
Later. I'm still trying to finish this letter and will end it now as I am going to the P.O. Will write again soon.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading