Monday, November 17, 2008

563 3/7/1944 Jim Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Jim Erwin
Lakeland Field, Lakeland, Florida
Tuesday, March 07, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Just received your letter with the check in it. A kid from the orderly room told me the telegram was downtown at the office.
We had quite a wind storm this morning. Sand was flying everywhere. Most of the fellows had just gotten through with dinner when all of us were ordered back out on the line. Officers and men just poured out on the field. The planes had to be tied down and all small parts put under cover. There were lots of engines exposed to be covered, etc. Just got everything done when the rain and wind came. What a storm. Pieces of wood even flew into the air. It has died down a little so we came back to the barracks. Built a fire and trying to get dry and warm.
Got a letter from Bernice too. She plans on going to Seattle soon. Her address is, Miss Bernice Stangler, 839 S. St. Andrews Pl., Los Angeles 5, California. Maybe you could meet her in Seattle or take her back home. If she had time maybe the kids could take her skiing. Write anyway. She said again that she would like to see you.
How do you like the paper. Different isn’t it. I ran out of the other and this was the only type of airmail paper they had.
Clifford was in town yesterday and had some pictures taken. His proofs will be here Thursday and I’ll see how his come out.
The check will be okay I’m sure. I imagine the money order was for $35.00 instead of sixty. I have inquired about the wallet all over and it hasn’t showed up yet.
Glad to hear that the car is getting waxed. The price is certainly reasonable enough.
I read about the grade school program in the papers. Glad you enjoyed it.
Suppose I should write to Clarence but please call or stop in and give him my new address. I get the papers but it goes to Barksdale first.
I told you of the stands the Red Cross had at railroad stands for the service men. Everything was free, the ladies were nice, and the food was good. They give or lend money to boys who need it to get home. Guess they really have some value but the serviceman’s opinion of them is bad. Around this locality the Salvation Army sponsors all the V.S.O.s.
My shoes haven’t come yet but should soon. Glad to know that they are on the way.
Maybe the woman Louie married will do him some good. It will really be something if he has quit drinking.
There was a woman on the train when I came back off of furlough that had her husband’s body on the train. She was quite old though and took it very nicely. Jean is so young and hasn’t been married very long. Don’t imagine it is very easy for her.
Haven’t heard from Glad for a week or so. She will probably tell me about Cully winning another hat. I saw a paper this morning and Chicago was in third place. They were way down for awhile. They should get into the playoffs now.
If I make any promises to anybody, it would be to Shirlee. Don’t worry about me marrying any foreign girl. I’ll be back after the war and live with you folks until I get enough money to get married. Okay ---? If Shirl was here, it would be hard to say what I’d do. She isn’t so you won’t have to worry about that.
We played and won last night. Just one game left and if we win it’s the championship. We won’t get anything for it, maybe a trophy, but makes us feel good. Our last game is Thursday.
The rain is still coming down hard but the wind has died down some.
I’ll try and write to Mrs. Silknitter soon. I know it’s awful not to have written but I’m afraid she will keep on answering.
Will close for now and write again soon. Thanks again for sending the money.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading