Wednesday, October 29, 2008

360 11/30/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Wednesday, November 30, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Cully is home again so everything is swell. They came on Monday night. Yesterday after practice we took the elevated downtown and bought me a new coat. We got the Hudson Seal I told you about. He liked it fine and said I might as well get it now while we can afford it. They are fixing the collar so I can snap it up around my neck and I’ll get it tomorrow. I’ll feel pretty swell going to the game tomorrow night. I think I have a pretty swell husband. Now I’m more glad than ever that I gave Stella my brown coat.
Cully got sick while in N.Y. He looked terrible when he came home – all drawn out. It was the flu I guess. He is much better now though and feels a lot stronger. He also was hurt in his side. Someone hit him in the side so he was all taped up and padded with sponges. The flesh was broken and terribly bruised. That is also fine now. I try to help him all the time by thinking rightly. He says he prays every night and he knows it helps him. Someday he will make a good C.S. student although he doesn’t know it yet.
Our weather is fine. It doesn’t seem a bit like winter. We have had a few cold days but it never lasts long.
The boys play again tomorrow night. I hope they can win. They are now tied for 1st place. The new player from Montreal is very good and should help the team. I’m glad he isn’t replacing Cully. They are making lots of changes throughout the league.
Did Florence, Lucille’s sister, stop long. I haven’t written to Lucille once yet. I’ve waited so long I’m ashamed to write. I thought I’d write at Xmas time as long as I let it go this long.
A couple of gangsters had a shooting party in our block last night. They shot a nice policeman and killed him but one of the cops killed the fellow who shot. It is terrible I think.
Adelyn Pearson sent me a nice box the other day. There was a big bath towel, hand towel and washcloth to match – also a lovely pair of pillowslips.
We girls had tea Sunday afternoon at Ruby Northcott’s and then played bridge at Margaret Jenkins’s in the evening. I enjoyed it very much.
Mother, will you please let me know about Jim’s Xmas present right away. Helen and I might go in together and get him a whole outfit unless you suggest something else. I must know the size and color right away so I can get it soon. The packages will have to be mailed early. What size everything does Pop and Jim wear – socks, shirts, etc. Also gloves, pajamas, etc.
Does Stella need hose or what in particular would she like. I have yours all decided on but you can give us more ideas anyway.
Well, I’ll close for now. Thanks for the papers. I’ll write after the game and send clippings.
Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading