Wednesday, November 12, 2008

541 2/1/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
2021-5th, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Tuesday, February 01, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I guess you have received my wire by now and the reason I sent it is because I had written not to send the things until I had actually gotten the apartment and then I was anxious to give you the address. I wish it were Cole St. in Enumclaw we were moving too. I hope it won’t be too much work getting that stuff sent.
Elmer told Frances we were moving and she said she didn’t blame us at all. She still thought we should pay for the stove repairs so Elmer said to show him the O.P.A. slip and if it said we should pay for repairs we would. We were sure this house wasn’t registered. She said she didn’t know where the slip was but would get one. Tonight she brought it home and gave it to Elmer and this house is certainly misrepresented. It doesn’t mention Frances being here at all but says we are paying 75 for a completely furnished two bedroom house with garage and linens. We didn’t even have the garage because Frances keeps her car in it. Elmer isn’t going to sign the slip and he thinks we will be able to get some rent back. Frances certainly has been acting different since Elmer asked for the O.P.A. slip. When Elmer first talked to her she laid down the law about the privileges she would have around here and we could take it or leave it and here she wasn’t even supposed to live here. Elmer says we have been just paying for her room this whole time. It makes us mad because we needed that room all the time, especially when Jim came down. We will be moving into our garage apartment this week but are waiting for the carpenter to finish some work around there. It rents for 50 a month, 25 dollars cheaper than this place and we will be by ourselves.
I had a letter from Jim today and he was still at Barksdale but expected to leave today. I would have written to him if I had known he was still there. I wish he had called.
Those technicolor pictures are so pretty. I will send them to Jim when I get his new address.
Elmer says the alphabet for Jimmie and Jimmie repeats the letters after him. He repeats all of them but won’t say s. We decided that sounds too much like s___ and he’s afraid we’ll put him on the toilet.
I bet you had a nice time up at the cabin. Gossards must enjoy going up too. I wish I could go skiing. You know people are still surprised to hear I’m pregnant and when I tell them five months they can’t believe it. I really don’t show it much in the stomach because I’m gaining all over.
I sent Jim’s electric razor to you yesterday. It will be swell if you can get it repaired for him. I hope to get my watch soon, then I will send you yours.
Frances’s boyfriend isn’t in the army because he is 4F. Her sister and brother-in-law are planning on coming here soon. By our not having seen the O.P.A. slip they would have just busted in and taken the house over. I certainly hope we can get some money back. By the way the O.P.A. slip said they (the owners) took care of all interior and exterior repairs so there is no argument who pays for the stove. Since she gave us the O.P.A. slip tonight she stayed in her room and then went out so Elmer hasn’t had a chance to discuss it with her. I really feel as though I was led to that garage apartment. People say it is just impossible to find any place at all.
Well Folks, guess I will stop for now. Elmer and Jimmie are going to bed but I think I will stay up awhile. Every night now when we put Jimmie to bed he says he wants to talk. We ask him what he wants to talk about and it’s always Momma, Papa, Nandy and Bee. He knew you folks right away on that colored picture. He calls Jim the soldier boy. Well goodnight for now Folks and more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading