Tuesday, November 25, 2008

13 7/1/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Saturday, July 01, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Today Mother is attending her Association in Portland and will be home tomorrow. I know she will be glad to get there and Pop will be happy too. Those 6 days she was here surely did fly by much too fast. Seeing her and then Beryl and Glenn last night has made me a little homesick.
They arrived in Chicago in the morning and called me around noon but decided to wait to come out with Cully from work. They both looked good and had been having a wonderful vacation. We had dinner and then went for a ride as far as the lake and along toward town and even north a ways then back to their hotel. We had the youngsters along so came right home. It didn't seem we did very much but they said they enjoyed it. We wanted to go down again this evening to be with them until train time then see them off at the station but I couldn't get a girl so talked to Beryl awhile ago and said goodbye over the phone. We saw them anyway and it really is such a trip to go way downtown.
Wednesday night Cully mowed our lawn and it certainly made a big improvement. Thursday night we drove out to Berewyn to get my end tables. Friday I bought another davenport. This time I think I did all right. It is that rough frisny or whatever you call it in sort of a rose color that should go well with my rug. It is very good looking and has nice firm cushions - for $20.00. I plan to have my old chair fitted with a slip cover. Today Cully is painting the hall and bathroom. It will look so much cleaner and nicer. I just wish I could get a little more thrilled with things but I just can't. We do not seem to belong here. I guess I'd better snap out of it though as long as this is where I am.
I'm still waiting to hear from Helen Johnson on the washing machine. Must close and get busy on my ironing now. Our weather turned cool Wednesday night so want to get it done before it gets hot again. Write soon.
Love, Gladys.
Mother's nice letter mailed in Omaha came Thursday. Was so glad to hear she had a seat and on an air conditioned car. Hope the trip didn't seem too long.
My Venetian blinds haven't come yet. We went down to see about them this morning. They are making up one so that is why the delay. They will charge me only $60.00 though so I can't kick. Cully's vacation started last night and he got his full pay for the 10 days.
Monday
Haven't mailed your letter yet so will add a note. Mother's Portland letter just came and I was so glad she made the trip so fine.
Yesterday Cully accomplished a lot so when the kids woke up from their nap we decided to get out for awhile so drove to a Kiddies Land and let Ruthie ride the ponies, merry-go-round, and little train. Jeannie also went on that. Then we drove up around the Guyon and had our supper at Gretchen's where our friend Augie works.
I'm going out to shop now so will mail this. Yesterday we also bought a porcelain top kitchen table with chrome legs. It looks real nice. We answered an ad in the paper. More soon.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading