Sunday, November 23, 2008

619 6/21/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Wednesday, June 21, 1944
Sadie Erwin
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois

Dear Mother,
I have been traveling with you all morning and Jimmie has been asking about you ever since he got up. I did a big washing and have a few more things soaking. Then I made the beds and got Mary to sleep and put her in your room in her basket.
It didn’t take us long to get home last night and Mary slept all the way. We froze all night as it was so cold and I still have the windows closed this morning.
I sure do miss you and it seems like you should just be in the other room. Every time I pour myself a drink I want to pour one for you too. When Mary wakes up I am going down and get some milk and I think that will be all I’ll need today. It seems wonderful to have it cool.
I certainly hope you got along fine from Cincinnati to Chicago. I’m going to read the lesson today. That’s another thing seeing you did for me and that is to realize how much I need to read for Jimmie’s sake and all of us. Since I have had the front door closed this morning the flies don’t seem to be coming in so I am going to keep it closed all the time until we get the screen fixed tight. Elmer is going to try and get the paint right away and paint the floors and furniture.
I like the davenport and chair so much and am really pleased with my living room now.
I’m going to get my hair combed now and then write to Jim. I won’t try to tell you how swell it was having you here because I can’t but before a year is up I hope I will see you.
Tell all the Dahlstroms hello and I’ll be anxious to hear from you and I certainly hope you get reservations to Portland.
With Love, Helen
night 8:00 P.M.
Well you are with Glad now Mom. I’ve missed you as much today as I used to when I was little and used to spend the night with some girl from school. Elmer forgot to leave the car keys home today so Jimmie and I walked down and bought milk while Mary was sleeping. It didn’t take even ten minutes.
Bill Davy arrived today and is staying at the dormitory but I had him over for dinner and had the left-over roast.
Elmer had a letter today from Terre Haute, Indiana asking him to come to work there and to name the salary he wants. He asked me if I would like to go and I told him I missed you so much I wouldn’t mind going to a new place. He and Jimmie have taken Bill downtown now. Bill’s wife will be coming in a few days, as soon as Bill gets his house.
I had another letter from Jim today and am sending it to you. Elmer’s father was very sick after his operation and passed a crisis so they feel sure he will recover now.
About the Terre Haute job, Elmer is going to find out more about it. Several Kellogg men are working there, that is former Kellogg men. The job isn’t a Kellogg job.
I guess I better stop and get Jim’s letter written so Elmer can mail it in the morning. Jimmie and Mary both slept this afternoon but I couldn’t although I was sleepy. I hope to get to bed early tonight. Have a good time with Glad and I hope you get some sleep. You forgot your pretty pin and I’ll send it to Enumclaw. Did you know the fastener was broken, but I fixed it.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading