Saturday, November 1, 2008

408 6/12/1941 Jim Erwin to Helen Carlson

Jim Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, June 12, 1941
Helen Carlson
Holly Hill, South Carolina

Mrs. Elmer A. Carlson
Holly Hill, South Carolina
Dear Helen,
You probably think I have forgotten about the swell graduation I had. If you hadn’t sent all that you did it wouldn’t have been half as nice. I really love my watch. It keeps perfect time, looks swell and everybody likes it. The handkerchiefs and stockings match my sport outfit as well as if it were made special for it. If I hadn’t had the money I couldn’t have stayed out until the sun was up and the birds were chirping. It was just like a second Christmas only I enjoyed it much more.
I was really fortunate in getting a steady job so soon. I hope they will need me all summer. Jack is on steady at Safeway. I suppose in 10 years he will still be there. I hope I am not still where I am.
I want to go on this fall if I can and I think it will be possible. I didn’t get such bad grades and so maybe if I work hard I can play football and get an education too. I got 2 A’s and 2 B’s on my card. That isn’t so bad, I don’t think? (what a sentence)
I didn’t lose a conference tennis match in 3 years, but lost to a kid I had been beating all this year in a tournament. I would have gotten my name on a cup but I had fun anyway.
I had a swell senior year. It sure went fast tho. I hope they don’t lower the draft like they say they will do. If they do, I’ll be drafted. If I get into school I will be able to finish out the year and maybe the whole course.
Thanks again for the swell things you did for me.
Give Elmer a big juicy kiss kiss for me, or shake his hand or something.
Yours truly, Jim
P.S. Pretty bad writing for a guy who just completed 12 years of school. Next time it will be better or worse. Something has to change.
My dear Helen,
I will write tonight. We had a nice time at the beach yesterday. Your letter came with pictures.
Love, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading