Saturday, October 25, 2008

302 1/18/1937 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Monday, January 18, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I've started this letter several times but every time I sit down the telephone rings but I think I've talked to just about everyone now so I'll start in.
Eden just called and invited Elmer and me over there tomorrow night. Selma is going too. I don't think I ever mentioned that I got the Christmas greeting Stella sent for Selma. It's too bad I didn't get her address sent to you but I still don't know it.
Elmer's sister Florence has a new boy friend and I met him Friday night. He looked so familiar but I couldn't place him. I saw him again last night over at Elmer's and asked him if he ever knew a girl named Stella. Here he used to come over to our place at 116. I don't know how I recognized him because I know I didn't know him very well but he said he had a brother that came over often. This kid's name is Van. I don't know the brother's name but he is probably the one I would remember better. They probably look quite a bit alike.
I didn't go to work Friday or Saturday because I didn't feel very good but today I feel swell. Saturday night we went to a show and went yesterday afternoon too.
I suppose Glad told you that Viola is going out an awful lot with Dick King. She is quite thrilled about him but would be about any fellow.
We got Stella's letter today. I'm glad all of you had such a nice Christmas.
Saturday night we are going on a sleigh ride party. There are going to be 20 of us. I hope it isn't too cold but it will be fun.
We are going skiing and tobogganing Sunday. I am going to try and borrow some skis. I have never even tried skiing.
Gladys and Earl have gone over to Nicollet park to go skating tonight. It's cold out so they aren't going to stay very long.
I know you asked once if I got my bonus money. I got almost 7 dollars but we didn't get our overtime money. Up to last week the Company owes me 58 1/2 hours. They will send us home early, though, for a few days and soon no one will have any extra hours. I would rather get paid for the amount I work. Last week I worked 52 hours but always only get paid for 40.
The union is raising a fuss again. I really think it would be better if Sears did have to join the union.
Well, I am going to take a bath and go to bed. I washed some clothes out when I got home from work so I won't have to do that now.
Stella, did the letter you got from Elmer cost you 3 cents? He had sealed it and put it on the table but hadn't put a stamp on it yet. A friend of Elmer's sister was over there and when he was leaving she told him to mail the letter and neither one looked to see if there was a stamp on it so Elmer said you probably had to pay for it. Anyway answer it will you Stella.
Tomorrow is payday. I think I can bank a little. I hope so.
Well I think I will go in the bathroom before someone else decides to take a bath.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading