Sunday, November 30, 2008

149 2/26/1948 Mary Matz to Sadie Erwin

Mary Matz
Waseca, Minnesota
Thursday, February 26, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I have just read over your last three letters and did mean to write before this time, but we had to do so much writing just after Mother's death, that I guess I was all written out, and had to have a rest.
I wrote to Carl and Hilda yesterday. She had written so many letters and asked so many questions that she kept me busy but I think I have her settled for a while now. The reason I sent them a telegram, and not you folks, I had promised when they were home that I would. They said they would not come but I thought if I didn't they might say they would have come if they had known in time. We just happened to remember Lloyd, who lives in Minneapolis, and let him know rather late, but he came, so that should make Hilda feel better.
We were so sorry Helen could not come, but we wouldn't have wanted her to leave little Jimmy when he was sick. And she had been down to see Grandma while she could still enjoy visiting with her, at least a little, and she did enjoy that party. And I hope Helen will come down again next summer when the weather is nice (if it ever is). The day of the funeral was one of the few fairly good ones we had all winter. It was fairly warm, cloudy and a few snow flurries, but the sun came out in the afternoon.
We had just a short service at the funeral home here at 1 o'clock. Our minister gave a very nice short talk, then we took her to the Swedish Lutheran Church in St. Peter where she used to go, and where the minister said Grandpa and Grandma Sandberg were charter members. He gave a very fine sermon, and of course all the St. Peter folks were there. Most of the Rydeens(?) and Dahlbergs were there. Our four boys and Marian's and Polly's husbands were pallbearers and we all drove down in three cars. And Lloyd of course. I don't know if you knew he married a widow with a sixteen year old daughter a couple of years ago. She is married now so there were four of them. And believe it or not they seem to be real nice and Lloyd looks like a different person.
Clarence and Iva invited us all to their house for lunch after the funeral. Lillian Gilbertson, and Elsie and some of the others helped with the eats. (Elsie is Elsie Nelson, George's wife). There must have been nearly fifty of us altogether, so we certainly had a chance for a lot of visiting.
Mother is buried in the Sandberg lot with her parents, two sisters and brother. All our friends were very kind about sending in food of all kinds and our Ladie's Aid sent in lunch the day of the funeral.
I think I told you we used the money you sent at Christmas toward the flowers. We got the casket spray and had Mother and Grandmother on the ribbons. The flowers the girls sent were lovely. There were quite a few money contributions and we put that away with some she had on hand to get a marker in the Spring. (I forgot to tell Hilda that.)
You asked what the State would do. We don't know yet. Down here they only allow $100 for burial, not towards expenses but only that. So if you want something better you pay it yourself. And we did and are paying it ourselves. The undertaker happens to be a personal friend of ours. He threw off $25 on the price of the casket so we got it for $250. And he did not charge us anything for the trip to St. Peter. The grave digging and rough box brought it up to $288 and the minister, janitor, etc. in St. Peter made it just about an even $300.
We have inquired and there is $1600 old age assistance against the place. And Minnesota happens to be one of the states that puts a lien against it. There's also a $500 mortgage which goes ahead of the lien. They haven't said anything yet, but I guess Bill rather plans on buying it. It is in pretty bad shape, but when you come to find out what rents are and what they charge for houses in town it would be cheaper than buying or renting in town. Anyway, we thought we would let them make the first move. We haven't said anything to Carl and Hilda about this yet, and I don't suppose you will be seeing them, but anyway don't mention it to them. They didn't ask and they can just wait until we know something ourselves.
Well, I know I have told you some of this before, but I didn't remember how much so now I guess you have just about the whole story.
Ruth had a bad cold at the time of the funeral, could hardly speak loud, so she stayed a week afterwards and went to bed and kept warm a day or two and had it pretty well broken up.
She will come down when it warms up and we will look over Mother's clothes and things.
We have had a long cold winter. Steady cold, hanging right around zero all winter, but not so very much snow right around here. Some parts of Minnesota had plenty. We didn't have any bad storms but I don't think it thawed a week all winter. But lately we have had a couple of thawy days at a time, two or three times and it is warming up a little, so I suppose spring will come after a while.
I had a nice letter from Helen and hope to write her another letter some time. I just sent her a short note after the funeral. And I had one from Gladys too and maybe you can let her read this rambling epistle if you think anyone can get through it. I probably haven't said all I meant to anyway but you are probably tired enough reading this. I will try to write to Gladys some time. Wish we could visit instead of writing letters. Lots of love to you all.
Mary

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading