Saturday, October 25, 2008

309 2/10/1937 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
1912 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minn.
Wednesday, February 10, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Russ and Viv were over tonight and Elmer too. Russ and Elmer played checkers for a while then the four of us played cards. I served chili con carne for lunch and had cake and tea.
Yesterday I got out of work at 2:15 because the trains were held up on account of storms so we didn’t get our mail.
Glad didn’t come home for dinner tonight and neither did Wally Haemig so I got together what I was going to eat and went up to Eden’s and we had dinner together.
This evening a cute little fat boy came to the door selling Liberties so of course I bought one. I wish these little boys would stay away from me because no matter what they’re selling I can’t turn them down. I still think of Jimmie as he looked when he was here. I can’t believe he is getting so grown up.
Glad should be coming home soon as it is almost midnight. I washed the dishes after the kids left and have been monkeying around. She went out with Don Colburn tonight. I knew him when we lived at 116. I used to go with his boyfriend Trig and would get Eden for Don. Stella, you probably remember Trig. Isn’t it funny how people show up again.
This morning at 7 o’clock it was 19 below and plenty cold. At 7 o’clock this evening it was 18 above. It is only 7 above now but is supposed to get warmer.
I started a letter to Buster last night but Elmer came before I finished it so I tore it up.
The pickets were at work today and wouldn’t let any merchandise come in or go out of the store. Customers could come in and buy but I guess it is the shipping department that is striking. If we have to join the union it will cost us about 25 dollars. I don’t know much about it but there is a lot of fuss going around the store.
There is a lecture tomorrow night at the auditorium and Glad and I want to go. The auditorium isn’t far from our apt.
I wish you folks would come back here for a visit before we give up the apt. I like it so well I even hate to go to bed at night.
I’m sort of tired now though so I think I will go to bed. I hate to when I’m alone but Glad will be here soon.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading