Saturday, October 25, 2008

298 1/7/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Thursday, January 07, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear folks:
Today is Jim's birthday and I think of him every time I write the date. I hope he is having a nice one. He certainly is growing up fast. I guess we can't call him our little brother any longer. I wish I could be there to help him celebrate.
We had a nice letter from Grandma and I will send it along either now or soon. Perhaps I had better answer it first. We should try to write to her more often. I also had a letter from Muriel yesterday. I can't imagine her with 3 babies. I guess they keep her going all the time. I certainly do not envy her one bit.
I feel very good about our Christmas expenses. I paid cash for most everything. All I have is a small Dayton bill. I shouldn't say small but not big especially for two of us. My loan will be down to $50.00 next payday. After Dayton's is paid I will put more on it and try to get it cleaned up right away. I'd better so I can save some for a vacation next summer.
Did I tell you Della made me a lovely satin blouse for Christmas? It is a light blue and I am just crazy about it. I wore it the other night to a hockey game and got a lot of complements on it.
This Helen and Virg that Cully and I went around with so much, we still see often at the games, etc. but I do not care so very much about her. We can't get along at all it seems. She is the kind that likes to give people dirty digs, etc. So far I've just taken it and let it go at that but Tuesday night we almost had a real battle. I told Cully that I didn't think I would go to any more of the games. Virg, her husband, is just swell and no one can figure out how he ever happened to marry her. I really do feel sorry for him. She whines and fusses about something all the time. Everybody is supposed to do just what she wants to do and so she tries to run everything.
I am going out to Jensen's tonight for dinner and then spend the evening playing cards. I haven't been out since Christmas Eve. I hope they bring me home afterwards because it is about 13 below zero. I haven't seen Helen for a couple of days. Last night she went home with Peaches from work and when she came home later I was in bed. In the morning she gets up and is gone before I do so I never get to see her then.
Adelyn is still home but just waiting. She is getting very anxious to go to the hospital now and get it over with. She sure does feel fine, though. I suppose we will get to do some of the cooking while she is gone.
I finally heard from Bill. He wrote while on the train and mailed it in Philadelphia, so I at least know that he is there. He got to K.C. okay and went to a big party New Year's Eve. I think he will be more lonesome for Kansas City than he will be for Minneapolis.
About the wire - that was alright. I don't blame you for wondering about us when we were so slow to write. You needn't worry about what it cost us. Helen asked the operator and she said 95¢ or 90¢ but we can see when Wally gets the telephone bill. It shouldn't be that much. How come Tacoma called you? Will you have to pay for that too?
Too bad Washington lost the Rose Bowl game. People around here, of course, were glad to hear it. They were sort of pulling for the eastern team. I hope Pop's cold and yours too, mother, are all O.K. by now. How do you feel now after the big fall. I felt sorry for you but couldn't help but laugh anyway. I bet it looked cute when you fell, too. I haven't gone at all this year but want to. One of Adelyn's girl friends likes to go so maybe I will go with her one of these nights. We are only 5 short blocks from Nicollet field so should go often. When the weather is so cold I'd much rather stay in.
I have finally gotten enough stamps to half-fill the red stamp book. That means I get a dollar's trade at the Leader. We bought Pop's robe and several other things there for Christmas. I will try to get Stella's gift sent tomorrow. I hope she will get it in time for her birthday.
Has the show Three Smart Girls been there yet? It is supposed to be a grand picture. The paper gives them 6 A's. It is showing here at the Century for the 2nd week. It is so crowded every night that there is only standing room outside. I hope I can see it when it gets out to the smaller theaters.
We are supposed to be busy today but have everything so far cleaned up. I guess Della and I are getting too good. Maybe before we go home we will be rushed again. It always comes in streaks.
Viola has been sick in bed for almost a week. They have had the doctor several times. There has been a lot of pneumonia and I suppose that is what they are afraid of.
By the way, did Pop's robe fit him alright? If not, all you have to do is send it back because I can exchange it for him. They said that it would be alright to do that.
Well, I suppose I had better stop. I'll try to write to Muriel or someone this afternoon.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading