Thursday, November 6, 2008

477 4/7/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Wednesday, April 07, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I just wrote a letter to Bob so will write to you now. Elmer has gone bowling tonight so I hope to get a lot of letters written since I will stay up and wait for him and he doesn’t get home until about ten thirty.
Today Jimmie’s pictures came and I am so pleased with them. Saturday I am going to buy some little frames and then will send you yours. The pictures are so much better than the negatives that I wish I had had more made now. We are still having hot summer weather but I guess it will get much hotter than this before the summer is over but at least in this apartment we have two porches and lots of windows so will have a lot of cross ventilation. That other apartment was so terribly hot that I don’t see how we stood it. I feel sorry for the people who have to live in it this summer. Mrs. Walter is still kicking tenants out as fast as they move in. It is too bad they don’t know about her before they rent her places. Will Lee Silknetter have to go to the army or will he be exempted on account of his fingers. Is he working now or what is he doing. Does his hand look very bad? Ora Dell told me in her last letter that Bill Sorenson had married that Mary Ellen. I sure was surprised because I thought he was always crazy about Audrey. I am glad Cully is out there now, and that he likes the baby. Will they be staying with you for a while until Gladys gets her strength back?
I got a pretty good permanent and I sure am glad to have it because it will be hot from now on and I wouldn’t like to get one in this weather.
Tomorrow Annie comes again so I am going to have her do some more baking for Jim. She doesn’t even have to have recipes but seems to know everything by heart. She certainly is a good woman to have. Last night we went to the Little Theatre again which is one of a series of plays given by amateur performers. It was Arsenic and Old Lace and was pretty good. We went with the Deans from upstairs. They are from Texas and are always getting grapefruit and oranges from there and tonight Esther Dean brought me down another big bag full of great big grapefruit and they taste so sweet and nice.
Well Folks this isn’t much of a letter but I think I better stop because I owe so awfully many and want to try and get a few of them answered tonight but I will write a better letter tomorrow night. I had another letter from Jim and he seems to be getting along just fine don’t you think? Elmer thinks he might try to enlist in some branch of the service if he can get a commission since he thinks he will probably be drafted but I think so far it is just talk. I hope so anyway.
Well goodnight folks, and I’ll write again tomorrow night.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading