Wednesday, October 29, 2008

370 12/21/1938 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Wednesday, December 21, 1938
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

My dear Helen,
Another nice letter came from you today. I’ll do better about writing from now on. Don’t believe I have told you we received the money order for 4.00 you sent for Jimmie’s gift. Thanks so much. Only you do too much. Hope you do not go without yourself to make it possible to do for us.
So far this is what we have gotten for him. The ski pants just over 7.00 with tax. A pair of wool mittens 1.00. These are to be from you girls. I got him a red knit band to wear around his forehead and over his ears when skiing, will also get him some pajamas. Papa got him a real nice razor and blades and shaving cream. This will make him happy for up to now he has used Papa’s razor. Stella got him the heavy canvas ski mittens and some pretty socks.
I sent Cully a little leather case with zipper containing a brush with handle, a comb, a file and a clothes brush. He should like what you sent very much too. Funny I even thought of a cribbage board, but then remembered Gladys had said he wanted a brush with handle for his hair.
I took care of the baby today. Stella started working at the insurance office. Don’t know how long it will last. Bernice is such a darling. So good and has a smile for everyone.
Monday night the mothers had a surprise Christmas party for the scouts. Then Jimmie was too tired to go. It was a nice party and I brought him home some cake and popcorn balls. Mrs. Eagan had made 65 to take up there for the boys. Those Eagans are always doing something nice.
Today I finished getting the letters out to church members notifying them of our annual meeting. Had about 40, so it is a job I am glad is done. I am about thru with my Christmas greetings and have all the packages sent except one to Gladys. I am crocheting her a chair set. It is not quite done. Will try to finish it in time to mail tomorrow. Then if I send it airmail she should get it Saturday. I got my other box off last week to her. Sent her some holly and three pair of silk stockings. She will like the nightgown you got for her, I am sure.
You will be glad to have a little rest from school. Our school here closes tomorrow. Jim hopes to work Friday as well as Saturday and I think he will. They were terribly busy today. Papa felt too tired to go to church tonight so I talked him into staying home. He will have to work tomorrow and Friday night at the store, besides the days will be plenty busy.
I am going to write a few lines to Gladys, then go to bed. Will start answering your letters next time. Lovingly, Mother.
Trust you have a merry Christmas.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading