Friday, November 28, 2008

94 4/6/1947 Elmer Carlson to James Carlson

Elmer Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Sunday, April 06, 1947
James Carlson
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Jimmy:
I certainly appreciated that swell letter that you wrote to me. You must have been practicing writing because it really was good. I just came home after spending the afternoon and evening at Barbara's house. Jeanie, Phyllis, Peter, and Karen were there too. Can you imagine what Barbara had? She had a real live bunny. It was all white and had red eyes. It's nose twinkled just like Uncle Wiggly's does, I guess. Barbara and the other kids carried him around, and the bunny didn't seem to care. Barbara also had lots of Easter candy. I suppose that you and Mary had plenty of candy too, didn't you? Grandpa brought Barbara a big box of chocolates, and she gave us all some. When I came home, Tippy jumped all over me. He had been home all alone, and he was so glad to see someone. I often play with Tippy. I am sorry to say that I gave him one of your rope hoops that you had for that game of ring toss. I would hold on to it, and Tippy tries to get it away from me. He shakes his head and growls, making believe that he is fighting with a big dog. He knows that we are only playing, though, and only pretends to be fighting. Every once in a while, he will get the hoop away from me, and then I have to chase him all over to get it back. However, now he has chewed the rope in two. I hope you will not be too mad at me for letting Tippy play with it. We had such a lot of fun with it. Maybe sometime you and Mary will come back and play with Tippy and me. I think that we could have a lot of fun, don't you? I know that Mary is being a good girl, and that you are helping Mommy to take good care of her. Do you still play ball, Jimmy? Did you and Mary learn to jump rope?
I wrote Mommy a letter last night, but I haven't mailed it yet so I am going to walk up to the postbox pretty soon and mail it and this letter too. Please tell your darling Mommy that I am glad she is enjoying her visit to Washington so much, and that I don't blame her for wanting to prolong it to the greatest extent possible, but that I, in my loneliness, wish that I could detect in her letters just a tiny, tiny bit of anxiousness to return to your old Daddy once more. Not much, just a little, little touch would be comforting. Tell Mommy that I love her. Also tell little Mary that I love her. And you know, Jimmy, that I love you.
Daddy
P.S. It snowed here last night, and the ground was white for Easter
morning. Wasn't that terrible. It has all melted by now, though.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading