Tuesday, November 25, 2008

21 7/25/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Tuesday, July 25, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Your nice letter and the Greenwater clipping came yesterday. Sounds like there isn't much left to the Youd [?] place. Anyway we are happy our place was protected.
No I haven't heard from Jim at all. It is possible he didn't get my letter so still doesn't have my address. I will do my best to write him again soon.
Saturday was the Utah Radio Company picnic. We left Jeannie and took Ruthie. Everything was free - pop, popcorn, crackerjack, potato chips, ice cream, hot dogs, coffee and beer. They had races, contests, ballgame, clowns and evening dancing. We left about 8:30 but Ruthie enjoyed it a lot and I met quite a few of the people Cully works with. He hasn't started giving his classes yet which he wishes he could but he is going back for some more schooling this week Thursday and Friday and again next week. He says that when Fall comes and time to play hockey they will probably find lots for him to do. He would really like to play and hold down the job too.
We have had some awfully hot days again. Right now I'm so warm and lazy I don't know what to do. Anyway the nights have been cooling off pretty good. I washed yesterday so have ironing to do and just can't make myself get at it.
We are talking of going to Minneapolis for Labor Day. Guess I will go early in the week so might have Vernie check over my tooth.
Tonight we are going out to Humberstones. Tomorrow we will go to the ballgame.
The Donahues from Greenwater (1st river cabin - across from Mrs. Tanner) called Sunday. They were on their way to Indianapolis but will be back around the 9th of August so will be out to see us. We probably will have them for dinner and then take them for a drive like we did Beryl and Glenn.
It has been a lot of work for you to find all our stuff then cart it down and pack it but we certainly do appreciate all your trouble. It will be nice to get the things too.
Jeannie is calling so I'd better get her up then get busy. I still wish we could be out west but guess I shouldn't complain and we may be there someday anyway.
I met Alice Johnson (Larson) downtown Friday for lunch then saw her off on the 1 o'clock Hiawatha. I enjoyed seeing and visiting with her. She said she would call you her next trip to Enumclaw. Her husband and Ernie Dahl are cousins. She said Helen and Benny Johanson would be here in September. There certainly are a lot of people traveling even if there is a war.
More soon. Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading