Thursday, December 4, 2008

222 6/20/1951 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Wednesday, June 20, 1951
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I'm finally going to get a letter written to you. It was certainly nice talking to you yesterday mother. I figured out why Jimmy kept saying wrong number when you called. For over a year and a half now some woman has been calling practically every single morning at about the same time and asking for Della. I have explained over and over to her how to dial the number she wants but still she can't get it straight. Jimmy thought it was that woman. Evidently the way she finally gets her right number is to call the operator and have her dial it for her. Elmer kept telling me I should call this Della since by now I know her number, and ask her if she can't explain to this person how to dial, because it really is a nuisance having her dial my number all the time.
I just wrote to Elmer and told him about this one awful real estate man but now I wish I hadn't told him about it or he will be worried. Anyway, I had this one terrible repulsive man here to look at the house when I had it open listed. I smelled his liquor breath as soon as he came in the house. He acted all right but he sat and sat and sat here asking all kinds of questions about the house and he was very, very unlikable. Tonight he called me on the telephone and said he was very surprised to find out I was a liar. He had seen my exclusive sign on the house and when I had talked to him last week I told him I hadn't signed exclusive, which was true then. I was so mad tonight I just could hardly stand it. I certainly told him what I thought of him over the telephone. I ended up by telling him if he ever came over here or even called me on the telephone again I was going to report him to the police. The more I think of it the more I believe I will still call the police tomorrow and tell them about it. First I'm going to check with the Better Business Bureau and find out if there is any such real estate agency as the Nicollet Real Estate. I don't want Elmer to worry about us here alone because all my neighbors know I'm alone and they all keep good watch on the house. I enjoyed this episode with the real estate faker anyway. It was a wonderful way to get rid of my emotional upsets by telling him how terrible I though he was.
We had quite a storm last night. I had open house and the agent Mr. Kleckner came, but it stormed so hard we knew no one could possibly go out and look at houses. This Mr. Kleckner knows Cully and many, many other people we know. After Mr. Kleckner left my bridge girls came and we were all without husbands for the week so we played bridge until one o'clock in the morning, then I made coffee and served a little lunch and it was two o'clock before they left. Telling about what a close watch my neighbors keep on the house, two different neighbors knew what time the bridge players left last night.
Monday night I took Jimmy and Mary and two neighbor children over to Lake Harriet. The Children's Theatre put on two plays, the Three Bears and Rumplestilskin. We all enjoyed the plays. They were at the pavilion. A wonderful evening was had by all of us and it didn't cost a cent, except for the Popsicles the kids had. There is another play on tomorrow night so we plan to see that one too. We are going early enough tomorrow night to have a ride on the launch first.
I talked to Mrs. Ellsworth the other day. She is still with her friend at the Curtis. I do hope to see her real soon.
Morning
I'm not going to send that letter to Elmer after all telling him about the real estate agent who called last night. I don't want to worry him or he might quit his job out there and come back. That would be just terrible.
I'm going to the post office now so will stop but we are getting along fine and I hope all of you are too. I will write more soon. I hope someone buys this house pretty soon.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading