Wednesday, November 12, 2008

537 1/29/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
2021-5th, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Saturday, January 29, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I’m going downtown pretty soon but want to write a note to you first.
The birthday presents came yesterday and they are wonderful. You said you weren’t sending much but I call that a whole lot. Three pairs of sox will last Elmer for ages and they are such pretty ones. He really likes them but I have to bawl him out because he wore a pair to work this morning and I want them kept for good, for awhile anyway. I love the handkerchiefs and you sent so many of them. I just didn’t have any nice ones at all. I haven’t been able to buy Jimmie any little socks in town and he needed them so badly I was going to write and ask you if you could get me some out there. Thanks just an awful lot for everything.
Well we got the garage apartment and I give Science full credit. I have been reading the lesson at night instead of a magazine and this week’s lesson was so good. It said don’t be fearful so I decided I wouldn’t be fearful about losing out on the apartment and then yesterday the Gilliards (landlords) called me and said to bring Elmer over last night so we went over and they rented it to us and we will move in the 1st. I’m especially anxious for Jim’s bed now and you can send the trunk when you have time.
This apartment came to us at a wonderful time because I had a quarrel with Frances yesterday. That is she was fighting mad but I just told her to talk to Elmer about it. I can’t fight with people (outside the family). I get too rattled and nervous about it. Anyway right after Christmas the oven went haywire and wouldn’t heat over 250. Yesterday she had a man come out to fix it and he had to put a new thermostat in and charged ten dollars. I wouldn’t pay for it because in the first place it was no one’s fault and besides Frances bakes more than I ever thought of. She said I broke it and had to pay for it and I said I didn’t break it and wouldn’t pay for it. She started acting horrid so I just told her to talk to Elmer about it. Last night she wouldn’t come out of her room so he didn’t have a chance to tell her what he thought about everything.
Have to hurry now but will continue later on. Had a letter from Jim. He’s being shipped today.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading