Tuesday, November 4, 2008

437 3/3/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Tuesday, March 03, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

My dear Helen,
I had a nice letter from Jimmie today. He mentioned getting a nice letter from you. He moved Saturday in with 3 other boys into some housekeeping rooms where they plan to batch. Hope they get enough to eat. He said they can buy their milk for 25¢ a gallon. That is much cheaper than here. We pay 12¢ per quart or 40¢ per gallon.
I worked out in the yard again today. Have been t___ and pruning my rose bushes. I got stuck so much my hands are sore.
I was going to tell you about a cat we had one time. Those Sonneburgs that lived across the street from us and next door to Ellsworths, gave Gladys a cat when she was about three. She liked it so well we let her keep it. Soon afterwards was Papa’s birthday. I invited Mr. and Mrs. Prescott and the Ellsworth family for dinner. I had pork chops and baked beans. While I was taking the jar of beans from the oven Mrs. Ellsworth carried the platter of chops into the dining room and put them on the table. When I went in with the beans there was the cat on the table. It took a chop and jumped down. I felt terrible, but the ladies said they did not think it had touched but the one chop and they were not afraid to eat the others, so we had them. I never did like the cat, but after that I just wouldn’t have it around. Aunt Hilda and Uncle Carl were living in Minneapolis at the time, and always liked cats, so I gave it to them.
I am glad to hear the Dew family is fine. Have not written to Jeannette since Christmas. Must do so just as soon as I can.
I talked to Stella again about the diapers. She said if you had about 36 diapers they would easily last two days or possibly three. When the weather is bad it is nice to have enough to last in case your washing does not dry quickly.
Those folding cribs are nice. A basket does not last long. Sandra is getting long for hers now. Gladys got just a clothes basket and we lined it. Cully enameled it first, just on the outside. That did not cost so very much. You would have to have a pad or blanket folded for the bottom.
When Bernice stays here all night, Papa goes upstairs and sleeps in Jim’s bed. She usually hugs me all night.
I certainly hope you folks do not have to move for a long time. It will be swell if you can stay right there on the island all summer.
When Papa read your letter about burning the beans, he reminded me that I was not the only one that could burn beans. A week ago last Saturday I made some swell baked beans. We had what we wanted for dinner Saturday night. When I cleared the table I put the rest back in the oven. Forgot all about it until I came from church and we were going to eat. Then I was just weak. I knew Papa had a good hot fire in the morning, and sure enough, they were burned black on the top and black on the bottom. We got a few from in between for lunch, but they were dried out and did not taste good like they did the night before.
I am glad you liked the little pillow and other things we sent. I have another one to send tomorrow. I know Gladys has things she is sending down with Cully March 10th, and then Stella has more things to send you. Don’t buy anything unless it is diapers until after you get her package. I am sure she said she had gotten you shirts. Stella will have kimonos enough with the two I am sending. Find out from the hospital what they want you to bring. When you know, you can get your suitcase packed and will not have to think about it again until you are ready to take it.
Bernice Swain’s baby came a week earlier than they expected. Gladys came two weeks before I planned on her coming so it is wise to have things ready early.
It is getting late so must go to bed. More next time.
Much love to you and Elmer.
Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading