Saturday, October 25, 2008

314 2/25/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Thursday, February 25, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear folks:
I have been typing letters all day long for Miss Peterson again. It is really fun and dandy experience. Our department should be getting busy again though in a day or so.
We did not get a letter from you yesterday, but it was Wednesday so we did not expect one either.
Last night I went to club at Vi’s. Helen and Ed picked me up and brought me home afterwards. I surely do appreciate it a lot. We had a nice meeting with plenty of excitement. In the first place it was Bertha’s birthday. Cornelia’s aunt was buried yesterday afternoon, and Helen is leaving for Honolulu next Sunday morning. They all had lots to talk about. We all went in together and bought Helen a beautiful pair of pajamas. She was so tickled and surprised to get them. She told us all she could about what her trip will be like. She will sail from San Francisco. I guess she will be there for about 3 days. Of course it will be her first trip and she has relatives there that she has never seen before. That is in California – then she sails and will be on the boat 5 days. That is the part she is looking forward to the most. She has perfect confidence that she will find a job. She expects to stay just as long as she can keep work and enjoys it there. It has been her life-long ambition to go to Honolulu and now she is really getting there. Her mother feels blue and hates to see her go so far away and Helen said her mother was the only one that she would hate to leave but that she was well and as long as Polly and several others are still at home, now is the time to go.
Cully played last night and got 3 more points. St. Paul won the game 4-2. We went to the Minneapolis game Tuesday night. They played Kansas City. It was a wild game and the goalie was hurt. He got his nose broken in three places and was carried off the floor. He left a regular pool of blood behind him. They were really worried about him so stopped the game and all the boys left the rink for over 20 minutes, right in the middle of the game. They put the pads on one of the other boys and he took his place. It turned out to be a regular comedy. This kid was plenty good though but it was hard for him to stay in the net. Whenever he saw the puck coming his way he would go way out on the ice after it. They only scored one point on him while he was protecting the net.
Cully left this morning early for the South. The weather seems to be quite nice – just a little cold – but if it doesn’t start to snow and storm we will go up to Princeton this weekend. That is Addie and I will for sure and maybe Clara and Vernie will go too.
Tonight I am going out with Don again. I think it will be a show again. That’s as good as anything – and I like to get home early.
I haven’t heard from Bill for ages – and his mother has had only two letters since he left here at Christmas time. She is cross with him. No one knows if he is sick or just too busy – of course in my case he is probably plenty mad. He manages to keep going out though himself. Since going to Philadelphia he has taken out girls to parties, etc. The different fellows get him blind dates so I am not sorry that I have gone out all I can.
Dorothy Cochran was over to see Helen last night. I guess Eden came down too so the three of them had a nice visit, and Helen made fudge. She thinks it is pretty swell to be able to go out in the kitchen and make it just any time she feels like it. I think it is nice too that she can.
Tuesday, before we went to the game here in Minneapolis, we drove out to Pearson’s. Adelyn looks wonderful and her baby is darling. He is real good too. He was sleeping but she woke him up anyway so we could see him. He looks so fat and strong. Wally has an advancement at work. He is now Assistant Purchasing Agent. He seems tickled about it so I suppose it was a raise in salary for him too. I sure hope so. I didn’t get to see Earle because he had gone to a Hi Y meeting at school but Helen, Mable and I are all going out some night soon and will spend the whole evening with Adelyn.
There is some kind of a new strike on now and half the town is without electricity. I hope they don’t shut it off on us tonight. It makes it bad for those with oil burners, electric stoves, etc. I guess they will allow the street cars to run but I am not sure. I will let you know more about it in my next letter.
Well I guess I had better stop and see if there is some more work that I can help out with.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading