Sunday, December 12, 2010

7/24/1944 Jim Erwin to Gladys Dahlstrom

Jim in India
Gladys at 9007 S. Elizabeth, Chicago

Dear Glad,

Would have written sooner but didn’t have your new address. Dad sent it to me a week ago. A letter from mother came, she mailed it while in Chicago.

Since you have bought a home, you’ll probably stay in Chicago for a long time. Are you going to sell the cabin now?

We are attached to a Combat Cargo Squadron. The planes are up all day so we have to work nights. We start work at six, eat at midnight and then go home when we are finished. That usually isn’t before breakfast time.

There is a fairly good sized town about 35 miles from here but I haven’t been to it yet. In mother’s letter she said that you would rather have me buy things for you, instead of sending the money I owe you. That’s okay with me. The only thing is, Glad, these Indians have raised the prices way up. Perhaps articles were cheap before the Americans got over here, but they are a long way from it now. I’ll do the best I can tho. There is probably some things you have in mind you would like to have me try to get, so I’ll wait until I hear from you.

This field is up close to a mountain range and not too far from Burma. They say it’s only 20 minutes flying time from where they’re fighting. Planes go pretty fast so imagine it’s quite far away. We haven’t had any excitement here and don’t expect any.

Rumors are out again that we are to move once more. Think we are going into China after the monsoon season is over so if we move now, it will probably still be in India.

The news sounds good and hope the war in Europe will be over this year. Maybe this other deal will be over soon after and maybe we could be home for Christmas in “45”. That would be okay.

Will close for now and hope to hear from your soon. Say hello to Cully and the children.

With love,
Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading