Saturday, November 1, 2008

710 2/11/1942 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts
Wednesday, February 11, 1942
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Plum Island
Dear Folks,
While I am waiting for Elmer to come home from work I will write to you. He went out in the field to work today but for the last several days he has been working in the office. Last night we were over to Ducrets for cake and coffee because it was George Ducret’s birthday. When we got home I was sick to my stomach and lost everything I had eaten so took it easy today and feel fine now. I had eaten a big dinner last night and then we had such big pieces of cake over at Ducret’s that I guess it was too much.
I had a nice letter from you yesterday and also a nice one from Jim. I certainly hope he passed all his exams o.k. He felt pretty good over his bookkeeping test so I hope he gets a good mark.
Elmer’s mother likes to sew and yesterday I had a package from her with some baby bibs in it and a little flannel jacket that she had made. I also had a letter from Doris Gray, a girl down in Guthrie, Oklahoma and she said she had made something that she is sending to me too so I am getting quite a few things.
Thanks for sending the clippings about Lila Shaw’s wedding. She certainly has gone with Joe an awful long time.
Yesterday and today have been real nice days with no wind. I went into town yesterday and did some shopping and it was almost like spring out and the ocean was almost as calm as a lake. The breakers just weren’t anything at all. It’s funny how it can change from being so wild to be nice and calm. I surely hope the Black Hawks will be playing Boston in the playoffs because I would love to have Gladys come here and I am sure she would like it here too. If she doesn’t come then I hope the kids will get here on their trip but Cully said with the war on and everything they would probably go down through Florida but wasn’t sure yet if they would get up to New York and this way. I certainly would like to have them come.
Andy will probably have a good chance of staying out of the army since he is a welder and is working on defense work but otherwise he would no doubt be enlisted right away because the only way he stayed out of it was that the age limit was changed just in time.
I’ll be Jim was tired when he got home from school at 4:00 A.M. that morning. Is he going to hitch-hike back too.
Both blue and pink will be nice to have for the baby whichever it turns out to be I think. The wool stocking will be nice to have to wear around here.
Well Folks I had better stop for now and get supper started because it takes it longer to cook on this stove and I like to eat around six, otherwise the evening goes so fast if we eat any later. I will write more later.
With Love, Helen
P.S. What do you think of the new time change? I don’t like it. It seems like we’re getting up in the middle of the night. What time does it get light there about?

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading