Wednesday, November 12, 2008

533 1/20/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
2021-5th, Lake Charles, Louisiana
Thursday, January 20, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
It is so nice and warm out that I’m sitting out on the porch and Jimmie is playing with the kids around here. I have a cold and the sun feels good.
Jim came down Monday night and stayed till 11:30 Sunday night. He came without a pass and I bawled him out about it. He is getting to feel too sure nothing bad can happen to him. He called me at noon today and said he was leaving then and was going to hitchhike down here. He has a three day pass so won’t have to leave until Sunday night. The bus doesn’t leave Shreveport until three in the afternoon so he figured he could make better time by leaving at noon hitchhiking.
I think we will be moving into the garage apartment next week. I certainly hope so, although I’m beginning to like this house because the yard is so nice for Jimmie. But then we live on a dirt road so when it is dry it is just terribly dusty. There is a nice park square just half a block from the garage apartment so if you came down Mom you could go over there and sit and read while Jimmie plays.
Frances had dates Monday and Tuesday nights and neither night did the date show up or even call. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for her.
Saturday morning
Here it is Saturday and I haven’t mailed a letter all week but have been practically sick in bed with a cold. Jim came down Thursday night on a three day pass so helped me a lot with Jimmie yesterday so I could stay in bed. If he hadn’t been here Elmer would have had to stay home from work. I feel so much better this morning though that I didn’t even go back to bed. Jim doesn’t have to be back until Sunday night. This maybe the last time he’ll be able to come down but I hope be won’t be shipped out. Will stop now but will write more later. The box came yesterday. Thanks a lot. Jimmie was so glad to see his rabbit and spoon and fork. More later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading