Friday, November 28, 2008

106 7/2/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Wednesday, July 02, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I'm sitting out in the sun trying to get a tan and Jimmy and Mary are playing with the hose with their bathing suits on. The weather still hasn't gotten real hot. It is about like it was out there in March on those warm days. I would rather have it like this instead of that terrible heat. Mother I'm sorry you were sick. You all have to work too hard and too long. I hope you feel back to normal by now.
We have been going down to the lake a lot and the kids sure love to go in the water. Frances Woodfill called me this morning and wanted me to meet her at the lake but I had a two weeks ironing to do and had quite a bit to do here so didn't go but will make it some other time soon. I like Frances a lot.
The Fourth of July we are going on a picnic with several others. We had thought we would go to Powder Horn that night to see the fireworks but they don't start until ten so it would be too late for the kids.
The latest now is that the carpenters are supposed to start Monday on the house. Then Florence's husband will be through with his work in about two weeks so will go to work on the house too. I sure will be glad to have it at least start to go up.
Yesterday I took the kids over to Bryant Square to play a while. I took grandma along too and she enjoyed it. Last night we went out to a driving tee and practiced hitting golf balls.
I would like to call Milton and lots of people but keep hoping to have the house before too long and then will do a lot of entertaining. I don't like to have anyone over here.
Elmer's office had a big picnic last Saturday and we had a very good time. I dreaded going because I didn't know anyone but when we arrived I saw a fellow named Johnny Baker who Stella and Eden and I used to go out with. He came right over and met Elmer and we met his girl and they stayed with us during the whole picnic. It was a swell bunch. Everyone was so friendly. It started raining so everyone ran for the cars. Elmer's boss, Mr. Magney, and his wife called to us to get in their car. They are awfully nice. The other two bosses, Tussler and Setter, and their wives were there too and all very nice.
Elmer works tonight but instead of going out I plan to stay in and catch up on my letter writing. I haven't heard from Glad for quite a while so want to write to her again tonight.
Mother don't bother sending the slip and the other thing you mentioned. Your letter is upstairs so I'll have to look again and see what it was. Jimmy and I are all through with the dentist now.
I'm going to walk up to the meat market now which is just up on 34th and Hennepin so will stop for now. I bet your new vegetable bin is wonderful. I hope you are all fine now.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading