Monday, October 27, 2008

112 11/16/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Wednesday, November 16, 1938
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I received another nice letter from you yesterday. Also the cards. Thank you so much. They surely are nice. I have 9¢ extra in stamps so I will enclose them and will send more later toward the postage.
It will soon be time for Xmas shopping. One thing Cully would like is a hair brush with a handle. You asked for suggestions so that is one thing I heard him mention. Perhaps they cost too much. Otherwise just get him a couple of hankies. He is sort of low on them. Let me know what Stella and Harold want or need and also you folks. I suppose Jim would like a nice wool shirt or trousers for skiing. Let me know what color, size etc. or if he'd rather have something else.
Wally left yesterday noon. He hated to go but we couldn't keep him down here all winter. He was too expensive. He is a fine boy though and I do like him. He tried to help by wiping dishes etc.
Last night Cully and I went up the street and saw "Alexander's Ragtime Band". It sure was swell. Yesterday was payday so we went to the Bank and put some in and then Cully had it fixed into a joint account like in Minneapolis. We are going to try to save a lot this winter. There are so many things we want to do. I've decided to not get a fur coat but a nice black cloth one. It will save a lot and then maybe we will buy a movie camera this winter so we will have for our trip in the spring.
Monday Al Sporer took us for a swell airplane ride. We were up for 1/2 hour and went all over Chicago and out along the Lake and over Evanston. We traveled about 65 miles. It was just perfect. It didn't cost us a thing. Wally was along and was thrilled to pieces. We all had earphones and could hear them tell us when to leave and when to land. Al talked to them up in the air. After that we had music the whole time we were up.
Our weather is grand. It has gone down to around 25° but we have lots of sunshine.
The boys play again tomorrow night. If they win it is 5 in a row. The last game (Sun.) was the most exciting thing I've ever seen. Cully got another point, but didn't play as much as usual. The stadium was packed. Every seat was sold and they were turning people away at 7 o'clock.
Tonight we are going out to dinner to friends of Cully's that he met last winter. I met them after the Sun. game and liked them very much. They are a little older and have 2 children. They are also friends of Al's. They are Jim and Kay Murphy.
Cully will be home from practice any minute so I'd better get out in the kitchen and make his pitcher of lemonade. We are going over to the park to see a big chrisanthemum (How do you spell it?) flower show. They say it is one of the greatest displays in the country. Then later I will get my hair set.
The Carlson idea is swell. It will save you lots of time in writing to us girls. Cully and I will hurry out in the spring so we can get in some skiing. 19 in. at the cabin is hard to picture.
So John Winter [?] is married. That was a surprise. I suppose he is okay though. I wonder if she is lonesome? Must close but will write again soon.
Love to all, Gladys.
Would you like another sweater for work or what? For Xmas.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading