Thursday, October 23, 2008

290 12/15/1936 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Tuesday, December 15, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I have been just awful about writing. I hope I can do better now for a change.
At present I am under the dryer at the Fashion Beauty Shop. I have had my permanent and it turned out just swell. Otis gave it to me. She asked all about you folks and said she and Letty mentioned us often. It really seems nice to be here again.
I've been real busy at the office. Della was out Saturday and today. Mr. Saunders stayed home. Mrs. Thompson made some Christmas cookies so sent a nice box of them down to Della and me. They surely are good.
We have all your gifts ready but are waiting for Elmer to bring over the tree lights. I'll get it all mailed not later than Thursday. I'm sure a week will be time enough.
I have waited and waited to hear from Bill. He makes me terribly cross. I am not buying him anything for Christmas until he gets home - which is supposed to be Saturday. He hasn't said how long he was staying so I don't know what to plan on for New Year's Eve. Cully will be back from his trip South on the 29th and has asked me to go out New Year's Eve. I told him I was waiting to hear from Bill. He leaves Thursday so if I haven't heard from Bill by Wednesday night I'll tell Cully I'll go with him whether Bill is home or not. Isn't that fair enough? We are going to the hockey game Wednesday night - a whole gang. St. Paul plays Minneapolis. It is one of the fellows birthday so we will all go out afterwards.
This Kenny and Lorna - who we went to Chicago with are being married New Year's Eve - of course we are invited so that's another reason I should see Cully if Bill isn't here. I think Bill plans to leave right after Christmas but doesn't want to tell me because he knows I will make another date.
I think we have some real nice things for all of you. We spent the most on Pop. I hope none of the rest will mind. We got a good buy, though, and couldn't resist. Next time he will get less.
Helen and I want you to be sure and get our package here on time. That is what we are looking forward to most regardless of how little it may be - it just must be here by Christmas Eve.
Wednesday
Whew, I got home and discovered Helen had written too. I will send this along with it.
I saw Bob Harvey Saturday night. I didn't even recognize him. He looks older - has a mustache and everything. He is married too. He asked about Stella and the rest and said his mother was fine and also Donnie.
Jan Warner is working in the toy department at Dayton's. I saw her Saturday afternoon. Must stop and go to lunch. I'm going to meet Helen Johnson - Virg's wife (Cully's hockey pal).
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading