Monday, November 17, 2008

589 5/20/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Helen Carlson

Gladys Dahlstrom
907 29th Avenue South, Minneapolis 6, Minnesota
Saturday, May 20, 1944
Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Helen,
I will write this to you and mother together as she should be there by now. I hope you didn’t have the baby before she got there and I also hope she had a nice trip and didn’t get too tired.
Our trip was swell. We made it in 4 days – got in here Thursday night a little after 11 o’clock. The weather was swell until we got into Western Montana and Dakota – there we hit quite a high wind. It made it hard to drive and took lots more gas. We have just enough to get to Chicago and that’s all. Everything went fine though and the only trouble we had was a flat tire on the trailer the first night we stopped. We already had our cabin and it was still light so a very good time. The next day Cully was able to buy another tube so we were all set. The 3 cabins were all real nice. We cooked breakfast each morning and packed a lunch to eat at noon and then stopped in the evening to get a nice hot dinner.
I haven’t seen anyone yet. Yesterday afternoon Cully and I went downtown for a while. I bought 4 more of my forks so have 12 of them now. Today I’m going over to pick up Mabel then we plan to call on Selma and Adelyn and maybe Dorothy Johnson (Tocole). Then before I come home I will swing past Schnable’s to see them. Tuesday Edna is having a luncheon and inviting Grandma D., myself, Mabel and Clara Jensen and all the kids. Cully, Virg and Grandpa left at 1 A.M. today for Mille Lacs to fish. They won’t be home until Sunday night so Sunday we will go for a ride and stop to see Helen Jenkins and Cully’s Aunt Carrie. Anyway we will leave here Wednesday morning for Chicago and will go to the Guyon until we find a house. I will write again from there. The girls are fine and were real good on the trip. They are both outside playing now.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading